Paying for housecleaning - Page 9
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Paying for housecleaning

^ Yep, it creates the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak type situations.

Those that don't recall that joke, Google : Russian translation the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak
    It dates back to the early days of online translators like Altavista

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

And "mon choux" is most definitely not "my cabbage," in case Google returns something like that!
    Lol, I checked & yes, that is exactly what GT returns [it means my dear FN].

No, it won't give you 100% accurary naturally, but good enough for getting the gist of it.

I personally find GT very helpful with various languages, but then again, I have the advantage of not being unilingual.

Harold: not familiar with early online translators, but I can well imagine the results!
    “Malicious men may die, but malice never.”

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto.gal View Post
    Harold: not familiar with early online translators, but I can well imagine the results!
    When the phrase the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak was translated to Russian, it's literal English equivalent turned out to be : The vodka is great, but the meat is rotten.
    More or less.

Toronto.gal, If you ever get a chance, watch "Lost in Translation" dubbed in French. The translators somehow managed to make all the mistranslation and pronunciation gags from Japanese to English work in Japanese to French -- my hat is off to them for what must have been an extremely challenging task.

Some of my friends who are professional translators use Google Translate or similar software on their computers to do a first rough cut, and then they go through and fix all the mistakes and misinterpreting of idiomatic expressions, etc.

When I was a journalist sometimes I'd see my articles translated into different languages by other publications; my favourite was an article where I mentioned the Union of Concerned Scientists, which got translated into Hungarian and then back into English again as "The Worrying Scientists' Society."

Will do Brad, thanks.

Lol at the 'vodka' and 'worrying' examples.

Anyone did any cleaning today?
    “Malicious men may die, but malice never.”

My night to take the kids to swim class and go grocery shopping; husband fixed a chair and fixed some electrical thing while I was out. Does any of that count? And husband is JUST NOW saying to the kids, "let's not create a mess [as kid one is putting some papers down in front of him], let's reduce the mess."

And I did something this week that I've put off for the last 30 years: I ordered a dishwasher. We had one when I was a kid, but I've never used one since I left home at 18, and I'm 53 now. It's being delivered on Friday. Dishwashers are actually much more frugal than washing by hand (there are lots of studies to back up that conclusion; they use much less water and power) so I don't know why I put it off so long. The only drag is that we've been using the dishwasher-space in our kitchen for our recycling box, which will now have to go in the basement, so chucking reyclables into the bin will be more of a chore.

That's interesting, I just signed a lease on a new condo and it has a dishwasher, never had one before, parents don't have one either, no idea how they work. I'll find out soon enough...

Aren't you guys worried that letting some stranger into your house to clean it might steal something, especially if they clean while you're not at home?

FP: That's a real tempting offer. It might end up costing you more than the suit of armor, especially if MG gets involved

Thanks for the assist there Toronto.gal. Though "my cabbage" would be great too. I would love to see the look on some French girl's face if I called her that...

*Google Translates "my cabbage"*

We had housecleaning for a short while when my wife and I were both working and our kids were young. However, I found that what makes a house look messy is the clutter - the actual cleaning part is not all that difficult. We found it was just as stressful straightening up the day before so the cleaner could do her job as doing it ourselves.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast