How much do your spend on groceries and dining out?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do your spend on groceries and dining out?

How much do your spend on groceries and dining out?

Since I'm trying to become more frugal , starting this year I started to track our spendings on groceries, dining out and booze .. We're family of 3.5 (older son university student and lives with us part-time)
    Thus, first 4 months we spent:
    Groceries (include stuff like detergents, soap etc): $4,042 (estimated annual $12,126)
    Dining out: $622 (estimated annual $1,867)
    Booze: $1,154 (estimated annual $3,462).

What is your spendings?

It's easier to compare if you break it down to cost per person per week.

Your data below reveals cost - per person - per week.

Groceries: $66 per person - per week.
    Dining out: $10.25 per person - per week.
    Booze: $19.02 per person - per week.

Gosh, that seems low. Good for you I guess.

I have kept a record of my expenses for many, many years, so I have the figures available.

Groceries: $110 per person - per week.
    Dining out: $3 per person - per week.
    Booze: $46 per person - per week.

I enjoy eating and booze more than you do, but you dine out twice as much as I do. Is that the take away from this?

ltr

Just girlfriend and I...

Groceries: $300-$400/month
    Dining Out: $100-$200/month
    Booze: $20/month, cheap wine

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I enjoy eating and booze more than you do, but you dine out twice as much as I do. Is that the take away from this?
    Majority of dining out it's my wife's spending on business lunches
    Booze was less becuase end November and end of December we had trips abroad and brought a lot from Duty Free , so I anticipate increase .... btw, what are you guys drinking , I thought I will be "champion" in this category ..

I sustect that we strongly reduced our groceries spendings since I became semi-retired.... Before, we were buying a lot of stuff once per week and throwing away maybe 20% of the food. Also, when my wife was buying, she didn't even look at the prices lol. Now, I'm going more frequently, buying in less quantities and fresher stuff, sometimes with good discounts...
    Last edited by gibor365; 2017-05-02 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Majority of dining out it's my wife's spending on business lunches
    Booze was less because end November and end of December we had trips abroad and brought a lot from Duty Free , so I anticipate increase .... btw, what are you guys drinking , I thought I will be "champion" in this category ..
    Wine, wine, wine. What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365
    I suspect that we strongly reduced our groceries spending since I became semi-retired.... Before, we were buying a lot of stuff once per week and throwing away maybe 20% of the food. Also, when my wife was buying, she didn't even look at the prices lol. Now, I'm going more frequently, buying in less quantities and fresher stuff, sometimes with good discounts...
    Since retiring, my food waste/throwing away is 0%. I now have the time to shop more efficiently, and like you, buying in less quantities and fresher stuff, sometimes with good discounts.

ltr

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    Wine, wine, wine. What can I say?

Since retiring, my food waste/throwing away is 0%. I now have the time to shop more efficiently, and like you, buying in less quantities and fresher stuff, sometimes with good discounts.

ltr
    food waste/throwing away is still not 0%, but working on it

Family of 4 (2 boys - 13 and 16) - based on last 3 yr ave

Groceries/Household - $312 per person per month
    Eating out - $44 per person per month
    Booze - $0 - no drinkers in my household

I keep track of all transactions on Mint.
    My breakdown works out to

Groceries: $67 per person - per week.
    Dining out: $39.75 per person - per week. This includes coffee shops, fast food and restaurants.
    Booze: $5.25 per person - per week.

Booze is a real drain on one's budget and easy for me to keep to a minimum. Dining out is really expensive but we like going out for dinner.

I don't keep track but clearly our dining out is quite a bit higher that y'all. After 40-50 years of cooking, we are going to enjoy our senior years.

Booze varies. Mostly wine, but much higher in summer time as we sit on our deck and overlook vineyards and the lake and the sunsets.......and enjoy the company of a variety of guests who come out to vacation...and enjoy our pool as well. The season is just about to get underway.

Family of 2 + 2 cats!

Food (varies) = ~$500 per month
    LCBO = ~$150 per month (including parties and entertaining at home). @gibor, includes a bottle of scotch every few months which REALLY eats into the $150!
    Dining out (varies) but at least one nice night per month = ~$100 per month.

Life is too short to have cheap (bad) wine and cheap (bad) beer. Just me.

@Ddivadius, that's quite low for family of 4!

Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast