At what point do you sell? Even if it is intended long hold? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what point do you sell? Even if it is intended long hold?

Maybe trail a stop loss order to lock in your profits without actually selling now. If price starts to go against you it will close out the position for you.

In my non registered account i am working to further diversify my holdings. That is why I partially sell winners

So when any of my original stable of holdings bought in at 10k increments poke much above 13k at the end of any one quarter.
    That is when I look to re-balance and buy anew.
    The hgh fliers , they get a hair cut. I sell the 2k or so and put the holdings back to about 11k
    11k is what most of the original 10k have crept up to. (They were picked for solid dividends not just capital appreciation.)

Then the 2k or so capital gain gets bundled with accrued dividends, and some fresh cash in from wage earnings surplus to buy anther company for about 11k.
    So far the duds ( at the time) - down-trending and no sign for a pull up that I could see -get sold wholesale for the capital loss. It counters the CG, and gets the dying funds back into something that hopefully gets some life into it.

Most recent strategy is to read the weekly lows and to see if good companies that have missed a quarter of analysts expectations is the only thing in the long term that has put them there. I have made modestly good money over the following half year as the stock price trends up.

edited
    Last edited by Parkuser; 2017-05-14 at 11:13 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I like stocks that go up. I don't like stocks that go down. So, when I buy a stock I put in a stoploss order below today's price. How far below? That requires judgement and some knowledge of support and resistance levels but, my stops are usually pretty tight, average about 10% below the low. If the stock keeps going up, I raise the stoploss every week or 2. If it goes down I am stopped out. Simple and no anguish or second guessing. You could look over your portfolio calmly today and put on stoplosses for next week and avoid having to make snap judgements in the heat of battle as it were.

To put it another way what would you consider a normal reaction from today's price? Put your stoploss just below it.

Incidentally I like selling losers and adding to winners although, I know you didn't ask that. In other words if I was up 17% I would be thinking of buying more not selling.
    Last edited by Rusty O'Toole; 2017-05-14 at 03:46 PM.

Depending on the taxation status, I would sell the holding and repurchase half. This reduces my exposure but I stay in the game. I would take the profit and buy another upcomer. If I did not have one, I would not sell.

Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    Depending on the taxation status, I would sell the holding and repurchase half. This reduces my exposure but I stay in the game. I would take the profit and buy another upcomer. If I did not have one, I would not sell.
    all in TFSA.

I am primarily and indexer now, but still buy good blue chippers from time to time that I don't mind holding for long term. I sell at 30% and wait for the next ticker that is on sale. This is a completely arbitrary number that has been working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsgomarching View Post
    Anyone share some experience?
    I won't bother with sharing experience for two reasons:
    1/ you probably wouldn't believe me
    2/ the long knives would come out with the usual wisdom such as 'how could you be so stoopid'.

However, because of that unshared experience, I now keep a strict rule of selling half the position when the stock doubles. That doesn't happen very often though, because more often than not, the share price plateaus or dips severely before it has a chance to double, and I'm happy getting off the ride with whatever I have.

FWIW, I also own AQN and have no plans to sell it. ACB is well under $10 per share.

Hold, stay the course, reinvest dividends. Unless it stops paying an increasing dividend, it stays in my portfolio.

Unlike Rusty....I like it when stocks go DOWN.

I would be happy and cheer for a 20% market decline right now, and if prices stayed that way for a couple of years.

Upon retirement however, maybe I won't feel the same!

Last edited by My Own Advisor; 2017-05-15 at 12:42 PM.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12