Tax filing deadline approaching but accountant is being difficult

Thread: Tax filing deadline approaching but accountant is being difficult

Tax filing deadline approaching but accountant is being difficult

So CRA's personal income tax filing deadline is due on May 1st and my accountant is not only being difficult to get hold of but his quality of service has also dropped due to his client base expanding recently.

I don't know too much about filing taxes and we have had this accountant for a few years. (He does our business taxes too but he has filed them already).

Funny thing is that he has done all the leg work by completing the T1 Summary and we have signed and returned T183 forms to him a few weeks ago so we know all the amounts etc. But he just hasn't filed them and won't respond to our messages to explain why.

We don't owe CRA any monies but we would still like to file our taxes before the deadline. So my question is that in case we do not hear from him in time and decide to take the above information to another accountant, would it be easy for them to pick where he left off and file our personal taxes for us?

I am sure our accountant will shortly send us a healthy bill albeit his inferior quality of service but the replacement accountant also won't work for free. So as well as trying to keep costs under control, we are wondering if this guy has any privileges to our online account with CRA that may prevent the new accountant from doing his job properly in such a short time?

Anyone please?

Do it yourself, it is not that difficult

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea, have never used an accountant. But since you don't owe I would probably just try to relax and not worry about whether it gets filed by the deadline or not. Then next year, find a new accountant.

I would probably not try to do it myself in case the accountant also files it, that could lead to problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaberwock View Post
    Do it yourself, it is not that difficult
    OK we can definitely give it a try. But being this our first time and the tax deadline being tomorrow we don't have much time to educate ourselves about filing.

So how easy would it be to use information from the T183 Summary that he has already sent us to do it ourselves?
    Last edited by Kher-Spade; 2017-04-30 at 01:24 PM.

Actually, if the OP does NOT owe anything, don't worry about a late filing. There is no obligation to file if nothing is owing. That is probably why the accountant 'has set the OPs file aside'. In the years I had tax service as an ex-pat, they told me up front that if I didn't have a balance owing, they set those files aside while they worked on those that did. There are only so many hours in a day, i.e. 24 is all one can get. Even 30 minutes looking at the OP's file (or the 5 minutes responding to the OP) can take away from a more critical file. I repeat. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    Actually, if the OP does NOT owe anything, don't worry about a late filing. There is no obligation to file if nothing is owing. That is probably why the accountant 'has set the OPs file aside'. In the years I had tax service as an ex-pat, they told me up front that if I didn't have a balance owing, they set those files aside while they worked on those that did. There are only so many hours in a day, i.e. 24 is all one can get. Even 30 minutes looking at the OP's file (or the 5 minutes responding to the OP) can take away from a more critical file. I repeat. Don't sweat it.
    Thanks AltaRed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kher-Spade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    Actually, if the OP does NOT owe anything, don't worry about a late filing.

There is no obligation to file if nothing is owing.

That is probably why the accountant 'has set the OPs file aside'. In the years I had tax service as an ex-pat, they told me up front that if I didn't have a balance owing, they set those files aside while they worked on those that did ...
    Thanks AltaRed.
    True ... up until CRA sends a request to file a return. Hopefully the return is filed long before then.

The flip side is that the accountant putting the file aside as it is a refund is essentially giving the gov't a free loan until the return is filed so that the refund is processed.

Cheers

I suspect it is only a matter of days before it is filed. Accountants are in crisis mode up to (and through) the deadline. I'd suggest the OP call (write) again at the end of this week for a nudge.