How do you establish a foot hold in another country?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you establish a foot hold in another country?

How do you establish a foot hold in another country?

We are looking hard at Mexico. Puerto Vallarta area. Not hard enough to move there permanently, but it's a the top of our list for countries we want to spend time in, this coming winter.

How do you establish a toe hold? Do you just fly there and see what happens? Do you try to connect with expats on a forum to get someone to show you around?

I know quite a few snowbirds and they all selected their destination based on the advice of a friend or family member. My parents purchased their place in Arizona because my Uncle had a place there. My Uncle bought because a buddy at his golf club had a place there.

We aren't looking to buy property. We just want to find some locals and learn what we can about where the best places for snowbirds are.

I'm a planner. lol!

Should I worry less and just take a flier? No guts, no air medal?

Quote Originally Posted by TomB16 View Post
    How do you establish a toe hold? Do you just fly there and see what happens? Do you try to connect with expats on a forum to get someone to show you around?

Should I worry less and just take a flier? No guts, no air medal?
    It depends on how one cares to do things, but my best experiences in foreign lands have been to take the road less travelled. Take a flier. Get the locals to show you around. Avoid the expat hangouts. But that's not for everyone. Some prefer to be in a place that feels just like home, where everyone around is from home and nothing is different except for the weather.

Rent a place for a while, see how you like it before you make a permanent move

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jaberwock View Post
    Rent a place for a while, see how you like it before you make a permanent move
    Sure but where?

In PV, it appears wealthy folks go to Amapas and Conchas Chinas. The "value" folks seem to go north, toward Bucerias and maybe even Sayaluta.

We won't have a car so I'm concerned about our ability to explore Bucerias or Sayaluta. I know there is a bus but it probably only runs once or twice per day.

I'm interested in getting a bike and riding the hills. Perhaps I could pick up a mountain bike from Walmart or CostCo and just leave it when I go. We're both interested in walking around and perhaps some snorkelling. We like street food but I'm concerned about the less frequented carts and potentially picking up something nasty.

Do we book 5 days of hotel and then wing it? Do we book hotel for the whole time, since we haven't been in decades? Do we not book hotel at all and look for something when we get there?

I was reading a review of a B&B type place that was going for $60 per night on the web. Several of the reviews said to not book because you can show up and the sign shows $15 per night.

How easy will it be to get from the airport to Ampas? I'm guessing we would take a cab and pay gringo rates? That wouldn't be a big problem but I enjoy a good value as much as anyone. lol!

Talk to kcowan!

I would drive down if you have a month...carretera de peaje highways are better than Canada's.Bucerias is a dump...skip it. Sayalita is cool if you like the surfing lifestyle including various herbs to enjoy. Nuevo is for a nice club med thing,downtown PV is very cool and at the south end is a large fruitcake scene...further south are many remote hotels on private beaches etc. Go to Barra de Navidad at least 1 week. You need a car! Or rent one but it costs like $30 US/day...don't pay the $30 upcharge for special insurance lol....wear your seatbelt you'll get stopped every time as a tourist. Bring your own bike...ones down here are heavy steel 1990 jobs. Street food is primo...always eat there...shrimp on a stick with a lime is better than any restaurant in Canada. Always only eat Mexican food...no pizza,no hamburguesas. Book a few days near where you want to explore...do it Nov,early Dec,March or April...cheap. Airport to anywhere is pretty cheap taxi...anywhere to airport taxi is even cheaper. Buses go everywhere, we use them all the time...like 15 pesos.

Awesome information, Eder! Thank you!

Barra de Navidad is a 4 hour drive from PV. Really? Nice beaches?

My wife and I spent the fall and winter crisscrossing western and Central Mexico by vehicle and camping in all sorts of places: at the outskirts of small pueblos, secluded and touristy beaches, sierras and valleys, and everything in between. We are going back next fall for another six monthsto explore Pueblo, Chiapas, Oaxaca, Campeche and Yucatan Peninsula with a month or two in Guatemala and Belize. My advice: explore as much as you can before settling anywhere and, if you do find a place you like, just rent an apartment or casita for a few months. We actually spent a week in Barra de Navidad/Melaque and quite enjoyed it. A lot of older expats and snowbirds (I was initially shocked and wanted to leave right away...), but the village is pretty much the same I visited back in 1980 as a university student with its dirt streets, roaming chicken and unpretentious atmosphere. We will be spending a month there in January with my 81-years old mom in a simple but pleasant 1-bedroom apartment a block for the beach for 7500 pesos per month, including internet. Contact me if you have any questions. Cheers, Phil

Just curious.... don'tyou think that Mexico can impose some difficulties on US/Canada expats because of Trump's politics toward Mexico?

and what website can you recommend to rent condo for couple of weeks in PV area?

Just was reading International Living retirement index http://www1.internationalliving.com/...eport/ppc.html
    http://www1.internationalliving.com/...eport/ppc.html

Mexico is #1, then Panama and Ecuador.

This website promotes San Miguel de Allende .... checked on the map...it's in the middle of the country

best European country #7 is Spain (I agree )

Last edited by gibor365; 2017-04-26 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast