Canadian Money Forum banner

How do you establish a foot hold in another country?

14K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  kcowan 
#1 ·
We are looking hard at Mexico. Puerto Vallarta area. Not hard enough to move there permanently, but it's a the top of our list for countries we want to spend time in, this coming winter.

How do you establish a toe hold? Do you just fly there and see what happens? Do you try to connect with expats on a forum to get someone to show you around?

I know quite a few snowbirds and they all selected their destination based on the advice of a friend or family member. My parents purchased their place in Arizona because my Uncle had a place there. My Uncle bought because a buddy at his golf club had a place there.

We aren't looking to buy property. We just want to find some locals and learn what we can about where the best places for snowbirds are.

I'm a planner. lol!

Should I worry less and just take a flier? No guts, no air medal?

#45 ·
Speaking of Mexico, we will be in PV in a couple of months. I have two questions for those familiar with the area.

1) What should we take for money? US Money? Mexican Money? Ratio? I hear credit cards aren't accepted at many places so should I expect to pay cash but I don't want to be walking around with a month of cash in my pocket.

2) Our hotel wants $30 each to drive us from the airport to the hotel in Amapas. It will be convenient, so we'll probably do it, but I'd hate to get there and find out we could take a taxi across town for $10. I don't care if there is a better deal but I don't want to feel like I've been scammed. Any insights?

#46 ·
I looked it up on Google Maps. Amapas is across town from the airport, about 29 minutes away on a Saturday. I think $30 would be a reasonable taxi fare, based on the usual taxi fare to Nuevo Vallarta ($15 for a 15 minute journey).

Get some Mexican pesos. If you need to get more cash while in PV, go to a bank.

#47 ·
There are plenty of retailers who take USD but it is better to have pesos (15 to the C$). Most restaurants and major retailers take Visa/MC. So do grocery stores. ATMs will give you cash but your bank will likely charge you 2.5% extra (for CC and debit) and $3 for the network fee. Cambios charge extra. I would get cash before you go and keep it in the hotel safe (or even in a shoe). I put a cc and a 500 peso note in my front pocket. Never lost a centavo. Watch your change though. Cashiers love to make gringos pay for their ignorance!

The taxi fare is published and you can buy a voucher in the airport. It will probably be 330 pesos because the airport charges the cabs extra for doing pickups, but that is better than 450 charged by the hotel. You can also walk across the highway bridge and get one for 200.

Uber is also there but getting one at the airport is tricky. You could walk to the Comfort Inn (about 2 blocks south) and get a cab/Uber there. There is a hotel closer but I have never been in it.

#49 · (Edited)
Nope you can pile in up to 4 people. $30 to resort is expensive but cheaper if u bring pesos to pay with...CIBC will deliver your pesos if you need. It will be 40% cheaper cab to return to airport. Cab fare airport to your hotel in Amapas is about 344 pesos...like $20 USD and will be much more convenient than piling in and waiting in a stupid cattle van.Try this link for costs..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SavedPhotos-g150793-i242641822-Puerto_Vallarta.html

Use banks to get ~$6000 pesos for walking around plata. Ya theres a bit of a charge but things are 1/2 price here so no big deal. You will get screwed every time using USD here, try not to use any.
Whatever you do at least rent a car , drive to La Cruz & dine at Tacos on the Street...better than seeing the pyramids in Egypt!
Have fun!

Oh and make the taxi stop at an OXO store on the way to grab some hielo and cervesa and bottled agua. Don't forget a bit of a tip these guys are the life blood of us gringos here.

#54 ·
We just returned from a 6 day trip to The Copper Canyon. Departing from Las Mochis in Sinaloa, our first stop was El Fuerte. Definitely a desirable location, we stayed at the Pasada de Hidalgo, an amazing old Mexican hacienda.

Then we took the train up the canyon, staying at Hotel Mirador on the crest of the canyon, then proceeding on to The Mission and finally Creel. We saw the convergence of three canyons, one of which was 1.9 km deep. Many outlooks protruded out over the canyon, including one which featured a plexiglass floor. The others just had iron mesh.

We went with Superior Tours and would recommend this trip to anyone. Six days was only marginally enough as we could have spent 5 days in El Fuerte. An added benefit is that there is effectively no internet service and only occasional cell phone service so it is truly a vacation from regular life.

It is an easy trip from Mazatlan (5 hour drive) but 14 hours from PV. We flew via DF.
Picture of many overlooks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.