Living On A Million Dollars - Page 6
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Living On A Million Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet_nerd View Post
    A great option is the Niagara region. Eg. Welland, Fonthill, Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Crystal Beach, Wainfleet are a few good choices. (Avoid Niagara Falls/Niagara-on-the-Lake - too expensive and touristy)
    Housing here is still cheap in these places. Dirt cheap compared to the GTA You're in the heart of wine country, close to nice beaches on Lake Erie, parks, quiet, low traffic/noise etc.
    Hospital: the new facility in St. Catharines is in easy reach on a 400 series highway
    Airport: Buffalo is minutes away

My wife and I looked at Port Colborne since I think it has a lot of future potential and housing prices were/are cheap. However, the owner of a local B&B warned us about the new super hospital in St. Kitts and the closure of significant healthcare options in the southern part of the peninsula. It is a long ambulance ride from Port Colborne to the south end of St. Kitts. A real big consideration for anyone with health problems (my wife) or anyone who is old/normal retirement age.

"That's what I do, I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Mostly because of the family reasons. My mom and MIL (both 70+) live now 20 min driving from us. If we move, they need to move too and this is pretty complicated. Our kids also most likely will live in GTA, Our son soon graduates from University and 90% he secured god job in Canadian bank (downtown Toronto). Our daughter also planning to go to banking industry. Not sure we want to live 3-4 hours flight from our kids and potential grandkids
    That's one factor.

OTOH, my aunt & uncle whose only "child" was a poodle - sold in Toronto to move up to Midhurst.

Why Midhurst?
    Because according to them, when they checked Barrie out, those selling in Toronto and then moving to Barrie had driven up the Barrie prices so that Midhurst gave pretty much the same benefits by being close to Barrie for lower costs.

Cheers
    Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-04-21 at 11:26 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Beware that 4% extraction from a portfolio is not conservative and is considered barely sustainable, if we're talking 4% of the original value (40k) plus inflation adjustment, on a constant withdrawal schedule (i.e. 4% SWR).

Dividends are a different matter, as they are not constant withdrawals but will vary over time.
    Um SWR stands for Safe Withdrawal Rate. As in the safest amount you draw down. It is conservative already. Barely sustainable? You call a 95% success rate barely sustainable?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
    ... It is a long ambulance ride from Port Colborne to the south end of St. Kitts. A real big consideration for anyone with health problems (my wife) or anyone who is old/normal retirement age.
    Valid point Koogie. I fear (and am convinced) that a reliable, timely ambulance trip is only one of many challenges we can look forward to wherever we are.
    The health and senior care 'system' is not prepared for future demands.
    We think GTA real estate is in a bubble - wait till the sh^t hits the fan with growing senior care demands.

btw, in your opinion, what is the best place to move away from Toronto. The place that has high quality of life, cheap houses, close to major airport and hospital?
    There is a new thread on CMF that may have the answer. Here is an exerpt

Apartments and flats for sale in Anna Nagar, Chennai
    Find apartments and flats for sale in Anna Nagar, Chennai within your budget on India Builders. We offer luxury flats and apartments for sale Chennai, Anna Nagar.
    He doesn't mention it, but from reports, the health care there is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    Yes this anchor prevents many retirees from moving to a place more sensible for them.

I suppose the family connection is strong. We moved 1500 miles away from their grandparents but had them each out for a month to live with us every year. Then we moved back 8 years later and were local again.

I think the one month stay with us generated a stronger bond and the extended family feeling much more than the Sunday dinners at al. YMMV but don't just dismiss the idea.
    Probably Canadians have different from us mentality ... My uncle family (70+ , retired couple) live in rather expensive Richmond Hills and don't considered to move to cheaper place because they actually participate in live of their granddaughters include going with them for dancing lessons 3-4 times per week, doing homework etc...
    When I asked them why they don't move to cheaper locations, they told me that cannot imagine life without seeing grandkids every week ...

A great option is the Niagara region. Eg. Welland, Fonthill, Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Crystal Beach, Wainfleet are a few good choices.
    Out of curiousity, checked on remax some of this places + London. Guelph, Kingston..... holy sh*t, everything is soooo expensive .
    imho, the resonable prices are only in Maritimes and maybe some areas of AB
    Last edited by gibor365; 2017-04-21 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post
    With any luck, the moderators will remove that spam thread shortly. I see 55 views of it, hopefully as many have clicked the triangle in the lower left to report it as the spam/advertising/garbage that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post

He doesn't mention it, but from reports, the health care there is cheap.
    Won't go to this crap even if youpay me 1M

Won't go to this crap even if youpay me 1M
    How about $1.5M? At least you could retire on that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomB19 View Post
    How about $1.5M? At least you could retire on that.
    In Chennai?! NO WAY!

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast