Replacing Windows - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing Windows

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
    I haven't done any indepth research yet, but what makes a good window vs a bad one? I've also heard people recommend that you don't spend the money on the double/triple-whatchamacallit because the energy savings will not come anywhere near the extra cost incurred from upgrading the windows.
    Just going by those articles I found... it sounds like some of these options (Low-E) may be worth paying for due to the heat efficiency. It's also a bit difficult to interpret American written articles since just about anything in Canada is probably an "extremely cold climate".

Does anyone know of a good web site for windows education, relevant to the Canadian climate? The choice of options depends a lot on the climate.

The OP has already stated he is going to do the right thing and replace with full frame windows and not inserts, as I also suggested up thread.

James4B, no reputable window dealer is going to offer/sell windows without LowE coating and without argon or equivalent gas for home replacement windows, and it is code in most all jurisdictions for new construction (possibly even for replacements in some places). The added cost ~10% will likely be recouped in several years of heating/cooling seasons and the home will be more comfortable. For resale a future buyer will expect this from replacement windows.

Good manufacturers will have their windows tested and certified with ratings for overall energy efficiency, water & air infiltration, strength. Look for energy ratings in the low to mid 30's. This is a place to start to learn some more. http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/produc...stration/13939

Triple glazing (~+20% cost) might be appropriate if noise is an issue or located in a colder region of country and on windows particularly oriented to the north & east, or someone simply wants better and is less concerned with return on value. Rough R values for windows are R2 double glaze(no LEA), R4 double with LEA, R5-6 triple with LEA. So compared to the wall insulation values ranging R12-R30 depending on age/construction method windows are a huge weak point, so gains are harder come by. New inert gases are being offered more recently so there may be some options there I'm not current with. Biggest factor is properly installing and sealing them well.

Window type is also a factor and casements will always perform better in wind, water infiltration and energy tests, but the difference is not huge. Single hung verticals next followed by horizontal sliders.

A good window vs a bad one- many things- quality and sealing of vinyl extrusions, is frame incorporated (1 piece) or pressed/pounded on (2 pc) quality, number and type of materials of closers, locks, cranks, screws arms, spacer type between glass, quality & number of gaskets or seals/fins, amount of fill % of inert gas between glazings, ease of use, warranty and fine print to name some.

To the OP if your windows are small in the bedroom you may have to consider the available opening area of the window if they do not meet your current building egress codes, although if they don't now identical replacements may be allowable, but necessarily safe.

FYI, I worked in the industry retailing and offering installing services for years in my phase down career before retiring, representing a leading manufacturer in this region.

A number of years ago, on advice, we replaced our Vancouver single pane LR picture windows with low E sealed units. Just the glass (wood frame). This was a room that faced west and got very warm in the summer. We did in fact notice a difference after installation. So much so that we we installed a few skylights we went with low E variants.

I purchased and installed a few Loewen wood frame replacement windows in our raised basement. Very pleased with the windows and VERY pleased with the service. After five years or so one of the window seals broke. I emailed Loewen. The responded within 24 hours with confirmation of my purchase and warranty. They sent a service tech out to replace the sealed unit. I had to pay a minor install charge...I think it was about $35 at the time. It was replaced within two weeks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I recently got windows installed for my new extended room, taking the help of Clera windows and doors (https://www.clerawindows.com/ottawa). They are a replacement manufacturer and installer. If I'm not wrong, the free estimate offer and a 50% off(all windows and door products) on buying a window, still stands. Do check for reviews too. It's too early for me to give a feedback about the efficiency of the windows since it's just 3 months since I got them installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12