CRA site doesn't show my tax payment - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CRA site doesn't show my tax payment

Quote Originally Posted by agent99 View Post
    I net-filed my tax return on April 6th. On next day, I transferred the amount owed electronically via bank as we have always done. The transfer shows up on our bank records, but no sign of it in MyAccount at CRA. My return has now been assessed and shows that I still owe them the balance. The payment does not show up in our installments or anywhere on MyAccount.

Sorry - Just venting. I am sure we will sort it out!
    I had to pay them a miniscule amount back in February. Since CRA does an auto deposit to my bank acct, I went into my CRA acct and paid them from my account using the "one time payment" option.

The money came out of my bank acct. Balance $0.
    if it's just an adjustment that you owe them, don't use the "installment option"..because they could assume you will be paying them in installments.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    The system does not talk to each other, i.e. NOA processing and accounting are in total different planetary systems. The intial NOAs are generally auto-generated by computer once it processes your return and if it gets a match with data on account and there are no red flags. The idea is to initially process the return, acknowledge it with a NOA, and issue refunds within days or at most 2 weeks after submission. Same thing happens with payments (sometimes even longer). What the OP and OMO articulate is the typical experience I have had for a number of years. Don't worry about it. Don't go fretting CRA agents about it. It all sorts itself out within a month. And eventually another NOA will show payment received and 0 balance owing (if everything is correct).
    My memory is not that good, but it seems to me that in the past when we transferred amount owing electronically, it at first showed up in our installment account. Then later it was used to pay amount owed on return.

In this case, bank shows money was transferred, but CRA never showed anything to indicate receipt of the funds. This is what concerns me.

I will let it go for a few days, but will then try calling them again. I see same AC-020 error as pwm does.

It shouldn't. There are at least 2, and most times 3, separate CRA Bill Payment payees and if you pick the right one, the funds should never go to the 2017 installment account.

But what you describe has nothing to do with my post you quoted. I was not even referring to the installment account. The post I made is simply that the NOA issuance process either does not talk to the Balance Owing account, or the Balance Owing account is very tardy in crediting deposits into the system. It is not unusual for an early NOA (7-10 days after filing) to still show a Balance Owing... even if you had already remitted the Balance Owing. That NOA will correct itself...eventually.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    It shouldn't. There are at least 2, and most times 3, separate CRA Bill Payment payees and if you pick the right one, the funds should never go to the 2017 installment account.
    We have always used the same one as the installment account. And the money has shown up there and then later used for the return. This time it did not show up. Alta is right that there are three CRA payment options when doing a transfer. But I don't see where CRA specifies which one to use. It likely does not matter.

I tried calling them just for peace of mind. OK - Still busy and unable to connect. If you listen long enough it says that they have a new express NOA system that is so fast it doesn't reflect payments made. It goes on to say that to check if your payment has been made/received, to check your own bank account and/or to check your MyAccount account. The link for the MyAccount account details is the one that is not working and gives the AC-020 error.
    Last edited by agent99; 2017-04-19 at 08:38 PM.

We have always used the same one as the installment account. And the money has shown up there and then later used for the return. This time it did not show up. Alta is right that there are three CRA payment options when doing a transfer. But I don't see where CRA specifies which one to use. It likely does not matter.
    The descriptions I see in Scotiabank's Bill Payees list of my chequing account seems pretty clear on which one is which. Right now, I see a choice of:

CRA 2016 TAX RT

CRATAX INSTAL

Had the same clarity when I had a CIBC chequing account.
    Last edited by AltaRed; 2017-04-19 at 08:47 PM.

There are three options on BMO. I forget what they are exactly, but they follow the CRA site's instructions.

How to pay your individual taxes online
    Sign in to your financial institution's online individual banking service.
    Under “Add a payee,” look for an option such as:
    CRA (revenue)- current year-tax return
    CRA (revenue)- tax amount owing
    CRA (revenue)- tax instalment
    Enter your 9 digit social insurance number as your CRA account number.
    Considering we used the tax installment option, surprising the money did not end up there!

We used Studio Tax and it seems it may not be designed to use the new Express NOA feature. It took 12 days for our NOA to show up while Express NOA should show up next day. This is the link that describes the Express NOA. At the bottom it talks about payments not being shown, but this applies to the EXPRESS NOA it seems:
    Why does Express NOA not show the payment?
    Tax returns that are filed electronically are assessed so quickly that any payments you send with your return are not likely to show up on your NOA. This means that the payment also would not show up in the Express NOA service. Check your online banking to confirm your payment to the CRA or by logging into My Account to see your account balance.
    Seeing on-line banking says our payment was made and My Account has $0 balance, I guess we are OK Judging by the call volume, perhaps others have had same concerns!
    Last edited by agent99; 2017-04-19 at 09:10 PM.

There are three options on BMO.
    As there are in all bank Bill Payee systems. I described only two because those are the only two that I use. I don't use the 'tax amount owing' since I am never in arrears nor have I had to make a supplemental payment on a prior return.

I have had Arrears payments incorrectly credited to my Instalment account. I am not sure where the screwup occurred. My suspicion is TD. Check your balance in that account on CRA. If it is there, ask CRA to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    I have had Arrears payments incorrectly credited to my Instalment account. I am not sure where the screwup occurred. My suspicion is TD. Check your balance in that account on CRA. If it is there, ask CRA to change it.
    The problem we have is that we cannot access our account on CRA site. It gives this message:

Statement of account
    ACC-020

The information you have requested about your account is not currently available online. If you want to speak to one of our agents, please call 1-800-959-8281 (toll-free) or 613-940-8495 (we accept collect calls).
    Please print this error screen or write down the number at the left of the error message before you call.
    It has not been possible to get through to that number and they won't even put you in queue.

My bank did process the transfer, so presumably CRA has the money somewhere. Surely any funds we send to CRA should show up in our account??

On the NOA it says:

We assessed your 2016 income tax and benefit return and calculated your balance.

You need to pay $xxx.97 minus any amounts you paid that we have not processed yet.

To avoid additional interest charges please pay by May 9, 2017.
    Hopefully we will see something before end of month.
    Last edited by agent99; 2017-04-21 at 10:05 AM.

What you quote is similar to what I've seen for years. It has always sorted itself out for me, even if it takes another 6 weeks for a revised NOA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast