Air Miles just got devalued - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Miles just got devalued

Quote Originally Posted by HaroldCrump View Post
    Stretch it out further, and it gets crazier.
    A flight from Toronto to Vegas will require more than 3x points than the flight from Toronto to Montreal.
    Yet, in reality, you can easily fly from the Toronto to Vegas for the same price, or less, than to Montreal.

A flight to London, England, will set you back by whopping 5,500 points yet you can easily book an off-peak season return flight for about $750 between Toronto and London.

In reality, flight pricing depends on several factors, and distance is the least important of all.
    Yes. I've brought this up in several forums whenever people tend to claim gift cards offer the best return. I have made far better return on Dash 8 flights (which are notoriously expensive as you say) The worst part is you still have to pay a bunch of fees, which are about the same as the cost of actually driving a typical car for those short flights... which brings in the fact that you can actually get from Toronto to Montreal for several ways cheaper just about as fast. These flights are the most convenient way I've found to burn off the miles before they devalue even further... cash back for me from now on

Quote Originally Posted by indexxx View Post
    But you can't use the miles at Xmas due to a blackout period, the only time I usually go. Or else you can't use them in conjunction with other offers, or it's used against the full fare value (not seat sale price), or only with such and such airline, or you have to stand on one foot while playing Purple Haze on a kazoo held in your left hand only, etc etc.

When everyone thinks the same they don't think at all

Just redeemed my airmiles for a stack of $20 gas cards. Then it's MBNA cash back all the way. I just opened the account a few months ago, don't really spend that much, and already got a check for $50 last week.

My only regret with going with upwards of 600$ of Fuel gift cards is that I do not get the 3% cashback on those "saved" fuel dollars.

Oh well, gotta lose some...

One of the best values I was able to find on the Air Miles system was a 1 year subscription to Maclean's. In fact, most of the magazine subscriptions they offer are a pretty good value. The Cineplex movie tickets are usually good, and the entertainment rewards as well (such as basketball or hockey tickets). The new Air Miles Cash system has devalued Air Miles even further - I wrote a blog post to that effect last month if anyone is interested.
    Air Miles Cash - Deal or No Deal - http://www.earthandmoney.ca/air-miles-cash-deal-or-no-deal/

I did really well with AirMiles for a long time, mostly just at the LCBO and Metro grocery stores, and Shell for a while, and I had a BMO Air Miles Mastercard. I paid for the first two months of groceries with Airmiles when I went back to school a few years ago. Now I don't drive so no Shell, the Metro near us closed so I am mostly shopping at Loblaws, and use a Capital One Cash Back MC. I am getting a lot fewer miles now, but if I am shopping at those places anyways its a free reward, on top of whatever reward I get on my credit card.

I started browsing through this thread then my eyes started glazing over.

Sheesh. Promotions, fly zones, blackout dates, bankruptcy, devaluations, fuel cards, expiries, no more movies, gas mulipliers, toys & puzzles, ...

I'm just shaking my head. Why do people bother with this crap?

I agree with the above comments, get a cashback card. I use MBNA. They reward me with money.

I've never signed up for one, but my credit card keeps accumulating large amounts of first home dollars, even though I have my first home...

Quote Originally Posted by Earth and Money View Post
    I wrote a blog post to that effect last month if anyone is interested.
    Air Miles Cash - Deal or No Deal - http://www.earthandmoney.ca/air-miles-cash-deal-or-no-deal/
    What a fantastic analysis. Thank you!

Somehow from this thread I found out that Aeroplan miles die after 7 years ... and this change started in 2007 .... so in 2013 -a busy time buying gas cards ...:-)

http://blog.aeroplan.com/aeroplan/ae...ies-explained/
    see bottom part of above link... took me a while to see the link on the accounts page they mention ... still waiting for reply via e0mail only status on year of points ..but pretty sure I have some old ones ... as I just collect and never seem to do much - waiting ( not sure for what )

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Guigz View Post
    My only regret with going with upwards of 600$ of Fuel gift cards is that I do not get the 3% cashback on those "saved" fuel dollars.

Oh well, gotta lose some...
    Ah! But, I discovered this week when I filled up at Shell that you do get Airmiles on the gift vouchers. I switched my Airmiles to cash rewards, so now on the rare occasion I do use it, I'll at least build up something I can use quickly. Rewards on the rewards- compound returns!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast