Where do you eat? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you eat?

@MrPPincer, generally I don't mind westernized versions, sometimes they are really good, like Indian food in England. And New York pizza is better than the Napoli version as far as I am concerned. The three types of food that I had a chance to compare, are Korean, Chinese and Thai. Thai can be really good here but a lot of the time they put a lot of sugar and cut on spice. Like I say,... far away little towns in Canada, like Mattawa, may have a really good Thai cook who loves his food and makes authentic dishes even if it makes no business sense. Korean food is usually ok in Toronto, just not quite authentic, can't put my finger on it. Somehow not as exciting. For one thing, you know what you ordered in advance. Chinese is mostly fake and standardized but large cities usually have a few good places.

I want all to promise to avoid this place when in Vancouver....nothing to see here ...move along! If you do check it out order fat noodles with every dish.

http://www.peacefulrestaurant.com/menu.aspx

We do eat it a fair bit, and where we eat depends on the situation.

Generally, I will avoid chains for the most part, though there are a few US chains we hit only because we don't have them here. I will run to Tims for a coffee because it's close and cheaper while I am at work, I don't ten have time to go much further. On the the rare occasional our days have gotten away from us and we are running errands and ar busy, will will hit a chain, same if we are travelling and time is a critical factor. Otherwise, we will not go to chains. For sit downs or even take out, I will try and support local businesses. We have always taken our kids to many numerous places, and will often intentionally try something that isn't common.

We prefer to try something we can't get at home. We also, try to only eat things that I cannot make at home, or it's way too time consuming, or it's just better by the restaurant. I am a pretty adventurous cook, and not too bad, so we tend to eat out at local mom and pop shops. When vacation, as long as we are night time rushed, we will often google someone near by, and order things we have never tried before. The more different the better for us.

It has gotten us in some funny situations. We walked into a little Chinese hole in NYC chinatown. It looked really dingy, and was packed with Chinese people. Everything was written in Chinese, with poor translations. I pointed onto the menu, they said something back in Chinese, we received it, we thought we ordered eggplant, I don't think it was eggplant. It was delicious, and odd. We went back to the same place sometime later, ordered the thing got something competently different, it was still good. To this day we don't know if we ate a vegetable, starch, or meat.

I believe food should be for a sense of adventure, we just look for signs that we may get food poisoning, other than that, everything is fair game.

Our favourite restaurants in town are local owners where we frequent so much, they know us by name, and ask if we want the usual plus( we always try to change one dish).

I also used to love roach coaches, before food trucks became trendy. I would often have all roach coach day.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wraphter View Post
    I have eaten in numerous very good Chinese restaurants in Toronto. Chinese cuisine is famous.

The Chinese cuisine in Toronto is not "Canadianized". There is great depth, variety and complexity.It is the authentic Chinese cuisine.
    Well, both exist in Toronto.

Currently visiting family Nanoose Bay area on Vancouver Island, a few of the recent places from my Mastercard ... MILLER'S PUB, SHELTER, THE BLACKFIN PUB LTD, NORTH 48 RESTAURANT LT, JAMES BAY TEA ROOM, BREW PUB, BELLEVILLE'S WATERING, ROCK COD CAFÉ, CROW GATE PUB ... all good, well, North 48 nothing special. And then there's the Lingcod done on the grill ... the "fresh" seafood back home in Ottawa will never taste the same ...
    If money isn’t bringing you happiness, you aren’t spending it right …

OMG...a fresh ling grilled with a bit of olive oil & lime juice....no other fish tastes even close.

For lunches when working I feel that fast food places are way too expensive, so now I go to a local Longos for some sliced cold cuts and pick up a bun and eat back at the office. Less than two bucks a day and maybe more importantly, zero sales tax.
    Last edited by Dilbert; 2017-04-16 at 03:31 PM.

Not exactly fine dining but for something quick and inexpensive, the Ikea restaurant isn't a bad option and a better/healthier alternative to the burger joints. My wife and I both our meal, 2 Big Rig ales, and dessert for $30.00.

Aaaaaaaaaaah. No Spidey, please.
    You can be a furniture store or a restaurant - but you can't be both.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    Not exactly fine dining but for something quick and inexpensive, the Ikea restaurant isn't a bad option and a better/healthier alternative to the burger joints. My wife and I both our meal, 2 Big Rig ales, and dessert for $30.00.
    I plead guilty to visiting Ikea when I saw a sale (I think it was the meatballs). It was a good deal.

Was it Ikea that had the meatballs containing horse meat? Oh man.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast