Canadian Credit Cards - Best Perks - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Credit Cards - Best Perks

I have Amazon Visa as my default PayPal card and I had it set it to something like "Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice"

However I can't seem to find that setting in PayPal anymore, and I see people are reporting that PayPal no longer gives you the currency options on checkout..

It appears that PayPal is also now trying to score some more 2.5% fees. See recent discussion in this RFD thread

Amat Victoria Curam

I just remembered something.

Since the last time I used my card for USD purchase, my card has been 're-numbered'.

Maybe that makes me a new customer where old perks don't apply.

So apparenlty PayPal changed their website in Nov 2016 and now you have to dig really deep to set the default conversion:

From Settings/Payments/Manage preapproved payments/Set Available Funding Sources/Conversion Options/Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice

It used to be easier to find.. sneaky PayPal
    Amat Victoria Curam

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

^^^ Thanks m3s

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    So apparenlty PayPal changed their website in Nov 2016 and now you have to dig really deep to set the default conversion:

From Settings/Payments/Manage preapproved payments/Set Available Funding Sources/Conversion Options/Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice

It used to be easier to find.. sneaky PayPal
    Yes I remember having the same problem and had to reverse the charge until I found this other setting. (That is what probably happened to zylon)

Thanks for the tip, changed it too.

I don't have much purchases in USD dollars so I don't have a specific credit card, but the less profit Paypal makes, the better I feel.

Okay, so I got my new Capone/Costco card in the mail today. All they offer is an $8K credit limit. So I call them and spend the better part of an hour talking to the CSR and then, her Supervisor. All I asked for was $15K and got a flat out, no!

I have zero debt and an excellent, unblemished credit history.

They said you need to be with them at least six months before they will even consider it....Caveat emptor folks.

Had the same problem with Tangerine. When I got the card they set the limit at $12K. It was tight; I asked for more but they refused. Another card just kept bumping the limit up until it went to $25K - without asking.

They all have their little algorithms that some bright spark developed. Certainly cheaper than old-fashioned small town face-to-face banking but sometimes I wonder what do they really know about your creditworthiness.

I applied for, and received a Chase Bank Canada Amazon card. It had a 4k limit which was odd.

Three months later I realized that I could get a fee based Chase Bank Marriott card. So I applied for that. Same data that I used for the Amazon card. The Marriott came with a 14K limit. Much better. Same bank. Same credit application. Same period in time. Go figure.

Costco Capital One has been 15K since we got it. No increase but we hardly need it. All the while, our CIBC Visa credit limit keeps going up and we are using it less and less. Now sitting at $31K. Never asked for an increase, don't need one, don't really want one.
    Last edited by ian; 2017-04-22 at 12:39 AM.

Marriott Chase great for international travel and one free night per year offsets fee and then some.

CapOne Costco is great overall.

Aeroplan VISA is tempting but I dislike Aeroplan.

Amazon Chase is good for simple online stuff. Rogers has a similar credit card now as well.
    https://www.rogersbank.com/en/25stndrd

Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast