Canadian Credit Cards - Best Perks - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Credit Cards - Best Perks

I heard that Chase Bank Canada was going to cancel their Amazon Visa offering
    Where this info is coming from?

This is true. It is no longer being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    I've found both air miles and aeroplan work best for short haul flights because these flights are very expensive to buy but the points are calculated by distance so they're relatively cheap by rewards points.
    Agreed. Use Aeroplan for domestic or within N.A. flights. (15,000 or 25,000 points.) Avoid it for international/overseas travel.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cedebe View Post
    I'm a single person who doesn't spend that much on groceries, nor do I have a car, and I don't eat at Tim Horton's. I will likely keep my Tangerine MC as I do my primary banking w/ Tangerine and it's easiest to make payments on that card, but a significant amount of my spending is done in USD, hence the preference for no forex fees.
    I think the only way to avoid FX on USD CC purchases is to use Norbert's Gambit to convert money and then transfer to a USD account and have a USD credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I heard that Chase Bank Canada was going to cancel their Amazon Visa offering. To my knowledge this was only 1 of 2 cards in Canada that charged realtime FX exchange fees on foreign transactions and did not levy the standard 2.5 percnet admin fee/

Only one left now I believe is the Marriott Rewards version which carries a 100 fee but includes one free night at a Marriott level 5 property. We have this card. For our lifestyle it has been a winner.
    Where did you hear that?

I got the amazon card before the Marriott version existed but now the amazon card is kind of redundant. I shop regularly on amazon and I'm also out of country a lot for work and spend several months/year in Marriotts

When I travel for work I'm covered by HRG travel insurance but as far as I can tell my Visa Infinite travel insurance is superior to the Chase cards for personal travel. I don't believe Chase covers any medical expenses

When you consider the rewards can offset the FX fees it's probably worth the difference for the travel insurance, but I have also had cases when I needed to have a hotel reverse large USD charges and 0% fx fee was $$$ in that case!

For now I'll leave the amazon card at home for online purchases, especially amazon or PayPal USD purchases. I use the Marriott card for Marriotts and misc expenses out of country that wouldn't benefit from travel insurance

Not sure if Visa Infinite would deny travel coverage if you booked the travel with another card?
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I heard that Chase Bank Canada was going to cancel their Amazon Visa offering. To my knowledge this was only 1 of 2 cards in Canada that charged realtime FX exchange fees on foreign transactions and did not levy the standard 2.5 percent admin fee.
    I heard that they have stopped new approvals but nothing about cancellation?

Quote Originally Posted by TomB16 View Post
    I think the only way to avoid FX on USD CC purchases is to use Norbert's Gambit to convert money and then transfer to a USD account and have a USD credit card.
    No, the other alternative is to get the Home Trust Preferred Visa as mentioned in my original post. I was wondering if anyone here had it, but it seems no one else has even heard of it.

My understanding is that existing Chase Amazon cards are fine. Chase is simply not accepting new applications.

Our Marriott Chase card has turned out to be a real winner for us. Mainly because we have a fair amount of FX transactions and we travel quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    This is true. It is no longer being offered.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/custom...deId=201516220
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Quote Originally Posted by My Own Advisor View Post
    I read it, but I couldn;t find any info that this card will be gone competely

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast