Electrical bikes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical bikes

Electrical bikes

Now that the warm weather is here and my rusty manual bike doesn't seem to work properly, I'm considering getting an electrical bike. Has anyone here had experience with an electrical bike and if so, any suggestions for model and where to purchase here in hogtown, Toronto?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

You could try this:

https://www.costco.ca/Urban-Ryder-Me...100057971.html

Nice thing with it being costco is that you could try it out for a week and if you don't like it take it back. A bit of an abuse of their return policy but you should get something for that $55 membership fee.

^ Thanks, nice price there. So far smaller independents are ranging from $2K and up ... and no tryouts (which is okay with me).
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver101 View Post
    Now that the warm weather is here and my rusty manual bike doesn't seem to work properly, I'm considering getting an electrical bike. Has anyone here had experience with an electrical bike and if so, any suggestions for model and where to purchase here in hogtown, Toronto?
    Yes. I helped to buy an electric bike for a friend of mine last year in Toronto. It was shipped to Ottawa at extra charge of course.

The e-bike as it is referred to in Ontario, does not require a licence or insurance, only a helmet. It can be used on streets but not sidewalks as it can get up to speed up to 30kph.

The model we chose was the Jenna by Daymak. it was around $1600 : $1199 plus 1 year warranty ($149) and delivery to Ottawa ($77).It has a speed throttle similar to a motorcycle, locking steering and comes with an anti-theft alarm and overnight charger. The pedals are necessary for regulations and
    can assist in pedalling it home, but it takes a bit of effort to pedal it. The pedals cannot be removed
    though due to current regulations.

There is no HST on e-bikes.

Dealer was : Bike and Forth 2810 Danforth Ave.
    around $1199 from what i remember.
    http://www.daymak.com/pages/scooters/jena.php

E-bikes are similar to electric scooters. In traffic, you have to be aware of traffic situations and respond accordingly. Weaving around parked cars and drivers opening doors in front of you are the worst hazards. Some drivers are impatient and may pass you unexpectedly.

You should not just buy an e-bike and venture into traffic hoping for the best. Best to be aware of handling and braking situations/limitations with the e-bike and also get a rain suit,(like a two piece motorcycle kind) to keep in the seat compartment, in case of inclement weather).
    It is strongly recommended to try the ebike first in a empty school parking lot and try some:

1: Figure Eights (left turn and then right turn (learn handling characteristics..it's a 65kg (143lbs)bike)
    2. Emergency braking (use a couple of soup cans to indicate the rear bumper of the vehicle in front
    of you. Acclerate to max speed and then apply brakes repeatedly until you can stop your-ebike
    safely with some margin to spare.

Here is a PDF on the Jenna that you may want to read first.
    www.daymak.com/manuals/jena_manual.pdf

Bicycle safety and rules of the road.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...ing-skills.pdf
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-04-14 at 03:20 AM.

I've been thinking of getting an e-bike as well, kind of lazy on the hills, if you do get one update us on how you like it

E-bikes should ride on the sidewalks. They can't keep up to traffic and cause dangerous situations when cars have to weave around them.

Cities pay a lot of money to widen roads for bike lanes, when it would be much cheaper and better to widen sidewalks on different routes.

We have bike lanes that cross over and back through busy car/truck/bus clogged traffic lanes.....accidents waiting to happen.

The arguments against riding on sidewalks are a joke. The law is that children under 10 can ride bicycles on sidewalks safely but adults can't ?

The law is all over the place. Have a broken pedal on your e-bike ? Now you are considered a motorcycle and subject to all kinds of charges.

I don't know about other Provinces, but in Ontario the laws are a mess.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    E-bikes should ride on the sidewalks. They can't keep up to traffic and cause dangerous situations when cars have to weave around them.
    They are NOT supposed to be on sidewalks. If you hit a child, dog or a person (senior), be prepared to pay for any injury caused. Insurance is not compulsory on e-Bikes.

Ebikes can go up to 32Kmph on a full battery. That is well beyond the 3-5kmph walking speeds
    of most people.
    With confusion of which way the child. dog or senior will go, it will more than likely result in injury to someone if the wrong decision is made.

E-bikes have to be in specified bike lanes or on the curb side lane, unless making left turns at intersections.
    Traffic rules apply. if the e-bike rider makes a mistake that causes injury to themselves or others, it can be costly,
    but that is no different than just riding an ordinary bicycle on the streets.

The arguments against riding on sidewalks are a joke. The law is that children under 10 can ride bicycles on sidewalks safely but adults can't ?
    Children are not aware of traffic rules and can get injured very quickly on the street, so the sidewalk is the bestplace for them when they are weaving all over the place and not necessarily paying attention to what is before them.

Adults, OTOH need to be aware of traffic rules. A mistake on a 10-speed in traffic can be deadly.
    A mistake on a e-bike going 30km can also cause serious injury. Common sense and awareness of what's around you keeps you safe.

On motorcycles, being faster vehicles, SIPDE applies. On e-bikes you it helps to scan 2-3 seconds in front of you and get the "Big Picture" and take evasive action (swerving or braking) to avoid injury to yourself and others.
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-04-14 at 08:41 AM.

E-bikes on multi-use pathways are a problem for me. I ride a bike all spring/summer/fall, and most of the time on a pathway. E-bikes travel far too fast (~30KPH) and continually weave in and out in a dangerous dance with all the other users of pathways. The rules for using e-bikes on pathways are confusing to say the least. Read the rules below for Ottawa.

Rules for Electric Bikes (“E-Bikes”).

They're too fast for the pathways, too slow for the road, and not allowed on sidewalks. They're an accident waiting to happen. I've little use for them.

ltr

Quote Originally Posted by like_to_retire View Post
    E-bikes on multi-use pathways are a problem for me. I ride a bike all spring/summer/fall, and most of the time on a pathway. E-bikes travel far too fast (~30KPH) and continually weave in and out in a dangerous dance with all the other users of pathways. The rules for using e-bikes on pathways are confusing to say the least. Read the rules below for Ottawa.

They're too fast for the pathways, too slow for the road, and not allowed on sidewalks. They're an accident waiting to happen. I've little use for them.
    Like everything else on the road these days, people have to use these things sensibly.
    The scooter style e-bike (above) is still allowed on NCC pathways, just like my 4 wheel electric scooter that I use. (I am disabled/wheelchair).

The user has to have it under control at all times. It has 3 speed selected by switch, so you don't have to go at 30kph in a congested pathway area.
    My scooter can go up to 14kmph, but i don't go at that speed when I see people ahead, especially walking dogs on the NCC pathways/nature trails. Like you say, it's probably an accident waiting to
    happen when people don't control their pets.

Using the e-bikes on the streets, well just like riding a bicycle on the street, you have to be observant at all times to avoid collisions with cars.
    People ride their bikes on city streets, not on highways or multi-lane thoroughfares where speeds are much higher.
    Last edited by carverman; 2017-04-14 at 01:25 PM.

Whoever designed the bike paths in our city must have been drunk. They cross busy traffic lanes at intersections and some just stop at bridges and force the bikes to veer back into the traffic lanes. A "little here......a little there" bike lanes cause more problems than they solve.

In Ontario, mobility scooters have few restrictions. The government advises people to ride them on sidewalks.

No age restriction, registration, licence, insurance or helmet required.

This model has a 3 hp German engine, travels 16 kms an hour and looks more comfortable than an e-bike.

It also has a bad weather top........kind of cool looking 3 or 4 wheelers.

http://www.scootercity.ca/product/sample-product-2-2/

Last edited by sags; 2017-04-14 at 01:45 PM.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast