Replacing roof - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing roof

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    They have their downsides too. Really noisy in a big rainstorm, never mind a hailstorm. My bro has had to replace some of his twice due to hailstones as big as golfballs. Consider polymer 'shingles' as an alternative to asphalt. One brand name is from EnviroShakes (am giving them some consideration for a roof replacement this year).
    We went with a stone coated metal shingle, so it's not noisy during a rain storm.

The last time was asked for an estimate was on our former home in Calgary. Cedar shingles. Big roof, three story home, lots of skylights, steep, dormers. The so called local expert who was doing roofs in the community came by and said we needed to replace the whole roof. I checked on them...they had a habit of going bankrupt every year or so. Called in someone else who had a sterling reputation. 500 cedar shingles, plus caps, plus a 5 year mtce agreement came to $2500. A far cry from a complete new roof as many people in the area seemed to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Be careful. Lots of shysters out there.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    The highest quote came from someone who climbed on the roof for ten minutes, stamped around, and then gave DW a price...
    Shingling a roof isn't rocket science. It shouldn't take more than 10 - 20 minutes to estimate a job on an average house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

We're very happy with the metal roof on our new house. The price was not much more than shingles, and a much faster install than asphalt shingles. My husband and his father installed, their first time with metal.

I don't find it noisy at all during heavy rain. The attic is well insulated, so almost no sound transmission at all. Best of all, snow slides right off. That's important since we had 14 FEET of snow fall this winter (eastern shore of Lake Superior). We worry about either snowload or ice dams up here. With the metal I now worry about nothing, and won't need to have the roof redone in my lifetime.

An added benefit is that it's pretty fire-proof to external fires. The house is in a rural area with no fire service, except MNR for a wildfire...when they choose to get there. Any embers landing on it won't do much except maybe cause discolouration.

We have a new metal roof -- there was a thread somewhere in this forum -- and we do not experience the "noisy" effect that people seem to think we might. It is certainly no noisier under a rain deluge than the old asphalt roof was -- you can hear that it is raining, but it is not a disturbing sound at all.

What has been an issue is how easily the snow moves on the roof. We have a side-split with a 40-foot clear run down from the peak on one side, and when the snow lets go, we get a huge dump in just a few seconds. It is a bit frightening. Fixing that will require adding a bunch of snow fence/retaining bars to the roof and will add a bunch of expense this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gardner View Post
    We have a new metal roof -- there was a thread somewhere in this forum -- and we do not experience the "noisy" effect that people seem to think we might. It is certainly no noisier under a rain deluge than the old asphalt roof was -- you can hear that it is raining, but it is not a disturbing sound at all.
    Metal roofs aren't noisy unless there is an air space underneath them. Think of how loud a metal heating duct is when you rap against it as compared to a piece of sheet metal sitting flat on a solid surface.

I can recommend one: King Koating Roofing. It's in business since 1988.

Started to get quotes and was wondering what shingles are better: GAF Timberline HD or BP Mystique? Any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Started to get quotes and was wondering what shingles are better: GAF Timberline HD or BP Mystique? Any opinions?
    From what all the roofers I have spoken to have said, stay away from IKO and BP shingles. GAF, Owens Corning and CertainTeed are the brands to stick with.

I am having my roof done today and got numerous quotes and spoke to many roofers and roofing companies. ALL of them speak badly about IKO. Most do not like BP quality. The rest say GAF, Owens Corning and CertainTeed are all about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay85 View Post
    From what all the roofers I have spoken to have said, stay away from IKO and BP shingles. GAF, Owens Corning and CertainTeed are the brands to stick with.
    That's what I read too.

I could have changed my 2002 BP with a new BP shingle in 2016 and get some rebate (around $800) because of their awful organic shingle , but I did not want new BP shingles.

I chose CertainTeed because that's what the roofer I chose prefers to work it, but I read good things about GAF and Owens Corning too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast