Replacing roof - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Replacing roof

A few years ago we re-did a roof. We went with GAF timberline shinges which carry their weather stopper product warranty.
    GAF sent an inspector to each warrantied job to inspect the installation, venting, etc. A guy from the US came by to check the job, he was on the road throughout the west.
    The roofer offered their own written warranty for the installation work. Only roofer I've known who has their own show room and keeps their guys on the payroll at some level all year, even when business is slow.

Last edited by OnlyMyOpinion; 2017-04-21 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay85 View Post
    From what all the roofers I have spoken to have said, stay away from IKO and BP shingles. GAF, Owens Corning and CertainTeed are the brands to stick with.
    There was a lawsuit related to IKO shingles due to their failure. I shingled my parents house and a year later on a windy day they lost 30 or so shingles...and not due to a poor instillation.

I found out about the lawsuit, but they refused to pay because they weren't installed by a "professional" roofer. That was pure BS because the failure had nothing to do with the installation....the shingles tore off and left a little bit under the nails, all of which were still holding. It wasn't an installation failure, it was a shingle failure.

Quote Originally Posted by bass player View Post
    There was a lawsuit related to IKO shingles due to their failure. I shingled my parents house and a year later on a windy day they lost 30 or so shingles...and not due to a poor instillation.

I found out about the lawsuit, but they refused to pay because they weren't installed by a "professional" roofer. That was pure BS because the failure had nothing to do with the installation....the shingles tore off and left a little bit under the nails, all of which were still holding. It wasn't an installation failure, it was a shingle failure.
    Oh absolutely. I think every manufacturer of shingles has had/does have a lawsuit against them. It is nothing out of the ordinary.

Most of it was because of organic shingles. Every manufacturer had them and used them as far as I can tell. They all lasted a fraction of the time they were supposed to. Fibreglass lamintated shingles of today are all pretty standard and more than likely pretty comparable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234