Replacing roof - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing roof

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    I can recommend Roof-Tek Ontario Ltd. 416.580.6156 ask for Andras. PM me if you'd like any more details..
    How do you know this guy? I couldn't find any review on the Internet for this company. And on website they have "Eavestrough and rain gutter installation " , not roof replacement ....

Be careful....The highest quote came from someone who climbed on the roof for ten minutes, stamped around, and then gave DW a price.
    I was thinking to replace roof 2 years ago, one guy got recommended to me, he checked my roof and said that I need to replace it in 2 years and for now it's enough to change just 5-7 shingles (that he did for reasonable price). I liked that he was honest and din't push me to replace roof right away... Was thinking to hire him also to replace roof now, but his company is very small , actually he's the only owner and has some flexible crew to work... Also, as per homestars.com reciew, majority of his work was fixing roofs (not replacing).
    btw, another 3 big companies with excellent reviews on homestars.com also came to our home to give a guote and .... no one from them even climb the roof . they just measured width and lenght or the house and gave detailed quote... Maybe if I replace all roof, it's not necessary climb on it...have no idea, understand nothing in roofing...

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    How do you know this guy? I couldn't find any review on the Internet for this company. And on website they have "Eavestrough and rain gutter installation " , not roof replacement ....
    I sent you a PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Where one is planning on replacing everything, where all the potential complications (ex. dormers, valleys, vents) are easily visible ... I would think it would be relatively easy to estimate by square footage.

I expect the risks would be they are leaving out stuff that would go under the shingles (ex. felt, flashing) or something that isn't usually needed like damage that requires the boards that the felt, shingles are attached to being replaced.

Have you compared the details of the three quotes to see if there's something different?

Cheers

You should also consider replacing with a metal roof, costs more but you won't have to replace your roof in 20 years. It costs more, about the same as the the high end asphalt shingles. I used http://www.newsteelroofers.com/ and liked the results.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    btw, another 3 big companies with excellent reviews on homestars.com also came to our home to give a guote and .... no one from them even climb the roof . they just measured width and length or the house and gave detailed quote... Maybe if I replace all roof, it's not necessary climb on it...have no idea, understand nothing in roofing...
    Most of the companies just use Google satellite to look at the roof and estimate square footage.

ltr

Tesla's solar roof tiles will allegedly be as cheap or cheaper than regular shingles.

Right, but Elon's "regular shingles" are probably pure gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-RetireEarly View Post
    You should also consider replacing with a metal roof, costs more but you won't have to replace your roof in 20 years. It costs more, about the same as the the high end asphalt shingles. I used http://www.newsteelroofers.com/ and liked the results.
    They have their downsides too. Really noisy in a big rainstorm, never mind a hailstorm. My bro has had to replace some of his twice due to hailstones as big as golfballs. Consider polymer 'shingles' as an alternative to asphalt. One brand name is from EnviroShakes (am giving them some consideration for a roof replacement this year).

We did our roof last year with Imperial Roofs. Their reviews on Homestars were pretty good. No problems at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast