$12 million inheritance - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $12 million inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by redsgomarching View Post
    judging by the OPs posts he probably is either a troll or going to burn through the cash faster then the little doctor destroyed the buggers in Ender's game
    Wrong, I tend to live beneath my means

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Contradiction in terms..........A "5-10% dividend return" and "diverse and safe"
    At 10% I'd say you're right, but around 5% should be doable, no??

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    Put it in GICs and get a steady guaranteed return..............and probably a cake on your birthday.
    Whats the highest paying GIC out there??

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf :) View Post
    Esco what is your highest value return of capital or return on capital? Playing return of capital will probably give the best returns i.e., speculators in the market on average lose money the commercial hedgers make money
    I dont understand what you mean by this

I'd Google for other threads where people asked about $2M+ money

12M - ask for wealth advisor and stop working/hanging out on this forum

Wherever you got the 5%-10% safe and diverse, go back to them - sounds like something Bernie Madoff would have said.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Esco View Post
    Wrong, I tend to live beneath my means

At 10% I'd say you're right, but around 5% should be doable, no??

Whats the highest paying GIC out there??
    1. well it does seem pretty easy to do that when everything is bought for you.
    2. like sag said, you are contradicting yourself if you want safe and 5% dividends still - you should do research.
    3. i guess there are somethings that 12 million dollars can't fix - do your own research, start contacting the right people.

thats another 120k fee for my advice, please EMT to the email i PMD you.

Wow, lots of negativity on this board

Take 2-3MM buy covered calls, put the rest in HISA. Should give you just about $400k per yr to live on. Can you live on that?
    Last edited by tygrus; 2017-04-08 at 12:52 PM.

The skeptism on this board comes from the fact of so many people coming here getting large windfalls, and not having a clue. If one is in such a situation, the situation itself is rather unique, and one should not be coming to an anonymous board to get generic information for their very specific situation.

A generic question is fine to point one out in the right direction, but to be looking for advice on how to invest large amounts of money with certain expectated gains, and not want to either put any work in or pay someone is penny wise, pound foolish.

In this $12mil example, why 10% or even 5? At five percent, that's $600 k a year. Is there a reason to want to generate that much. Of course more is better, but the ultra wealthy I say at least 9 figures) do not think on the same terms as the most. Even at a two percent return in a GIC you could get $240K.

In real life I actually know many people in ultra weather class (many sold their businesses) and most don't come to a forum to get key advice. They may ask a couple of questions, but not how to invest.

There are probably no more than a handful of people here that have dealt with or had to think about managing 9 d
    Figure portfolios here's, and fewer that do it without any professional advice. Unless you plan to spend it all before you die, there are always estate questions, and many ways you can set up trust, corpoarates, and many ways you can plan for future generations. NO ONE On here can consult you all the way through.

I also find it ironic, if the people aren't trolling, that they have all this money, that they are too cheap to pay for some good advice, and I assume (right or wrong) it's due to greed (cheapness) or foolishness.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

^+1 Exactly. That someone should find otherwise speaks either of great naivety or trolling.

You might want to read Managing a windfall - Bogleheads for some ideas.

I know this is a troll because wealthy people who give inheritances that are large are worried about the benefactor blowing it up in a few years, therefore, they assign it to a trust and a manager and have them invest and dole out the proceeds annually for a period of time until the benefactor reaches a certain age. They dont just drop $12MM on the lap of one of their relatives. Rich people plan like there is no tomorrow. Their biggest worry is losing their fortune.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast