Best places to retire in Canada for low budget snowbirds - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best places to retire in Canada for low budget snowbirds

A Hungarian immigrant acquaintance in the next generation up (my mum's common law husband) quite liked Kelowna. He came to Canada during the 1956 revolution, worked very hard buying and fixing up houses, selling then moving up. Then retired in the Okanagan. Dropped dead out of the shower one day.

He used to go back to Budapest for better value dental care. Not a puritanical place despite being Catholic (mind you so is the Philippines, but let's not 'go there' figuratively or literally - only place in Asia I dislike, robbed twice for one. Too much a booze culture) Fed up with Soviet influence Hungarians have very liberal attitudes to very human vices. Czech Republic too.

Maybe I should forget about Asia and move to Central Europe. Look up Vienna 1683.

Last edited by HermesHermes; 2017-04-07 at 08:47 PM.

deleted, was a misplaced post
    Last edited by HermesHermes; 2017-04-07 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    But have dreary, wet winters. There is no place in Canada that has as much agreeable weather that the OP wants.

Not to appear biased, but the BC Okanagan Valley might be a best fit for climate. Winters not too cold (but often grey) with snow typically only from early Dec to end of Feb, summers hot (but semi-arid and not humid). There are little towns like Oliver and Osoyoos that would have the cheapest housing (than that further north). But no college girls (what does a middle aged guy want with college girls anyway....or better yet, why would they want you)? Maybe sunseeker/beachgoer tourists in the summer will do? Best I can tell, these towns are pretty much white and Engish too.

College -- You have to ask? This is a 'family-friendly' forum. I want to discuss Nietzche and global warming of course! But your observation about odds are spot on. Intelligence turns me on - I like librarians more than students.
    Last edited by HermesHermes; 2017-04-08 at 10:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Gibor365

You make a very good point. YVR is convenient for East and SE Asia. But back east (especially Toronto) much cheaper to get to Cuba and London. Maybe I could get used to Romania. I miss my landlady in Havana too. Phnom Penh and Havana are the only cities in the world I have ever visited where I feel totally at ease. Trees, walkable, and nice people. Both.
    Last edited by HermesHermes; 2017-04-07 at 09:21 PM.

Peterborough, Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by dubmac View Post
    Peterborough, Ontario.
    Why? what is so good about Peterborough? Pros and cons?

BTW, I am on the lookout for a place that if due to poverty I fail to get way, I can stand 8 or even 9 months in Canada.

cannot delete. forgot to reply to poster

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPartridge View Post
    You forgot to add access to good medical care. In some places the hospital emergency department is only open a few days a week (Nova Scotia's rural areas). What if you need cataract surgery? Will you need to drive 8 hours to a main city?
    That's something I worry about while overseas and why I will no longer live in Cambodia. Many of my friends have died there from things that would be easily treatable in any normal country like Vietnam or Canada. But I would consider India - top class doctors, and plenty of them. Sorry for tangent. I diverge, therefore I am.

Regarding Canadian cottage life, I don't worry about medical care access in any decent size town. What is a 3 hour drive to a metropolitan area for non-emergency care anyway?

Let's get one thing outta the way - NOT NL !- on ALL counts!!

Per my earlier post, I was trying to suggest a place that had dry hot summers (not hot humid summers) as the OP requested, activity going on, access to medical care, airports, AND where housing costs would be low enough to 'live on nothing'. Such a place does not exist in Canada given all my travels (virtually everywhere in Canada) but the closest I could think of would be Osoyoos:
    1. the only true desert in Canada and a 5-10 minute drive to a US border crossing.
    2. local urgent medical clinic and maybe 1-1.5 hour drive to Penticton (nearest hospital)
    3. circa 2.5 hours from Kelowna YLW International airport and a major urban class hospital
    4. busy summer tourist season on the lake (and nice beach). Town population doubles then.
    5. housing costs....not so cheap but much better than Kelowna and somewhat better than Penticton. Note there's no place really cheap in Canada unless you want to be in the more isolated 'armpit' locations. The OP could always find some kind of isolated cabin in the hills almost anywhere, perhaps along with a meth lab, chop shop, or other 'quonset' operation.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast