Snowbirds: Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbirds: Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC?

Snowbirds: Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC?

What with ATMS how do we know if some snowbirds aren't spending 8 or 10 or 12 months in Peru or Thailand? I also don't understand why they can't collect even if they are. They will be less of a burden to the healthcare system if they stay outside of Canada. But the thrust of this enquiry is practical not political. As far as I know there is not yet any record keeping of airline exit/entries, nor stamping of passports. Even if there was maybe CBS is not integrated with the financial departments.

Someone who is a snowbird with experience please reply. Has *anyone* ever had their GIC cancelled because they spent one hundred and eighty-FOUR days in Puerto Rico instead of Ontario?

Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC?
    For sure u r qualify for any GIC

When you refer to "GIC", I presume you really mean "GIS" which is the "Guaranteed Income Supplement" to OAS for low income persons. Since you don't seem to understand that, I'm wondering if you really are a troll.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Why should Canadian taxpayers be providing welfare (GIS) for people who are not in Canada? And if they need significant healthcare, 9 times out of 10, they'll be back in Canada anyways to use the 'free' system.

Super Moderator
    I'm not a snowbird senior but I've dealt with issues of residency and day counts outside the country.

There is much more data collection happening at the borders these days. Different countries share information, so your entry in Country X may be reported to Canada. All the terrorism and money laundering concerns are the rationale for why this data is shared so liberally and the data collection is more extensive than commonly known.

US-Canada data sharing is particularly strong, and I can show you a print-out that shows every single entry & exit of mine into both countries. It kind of shocked me when I first found it. At first I thought this was just due to my NEXUS card but it's not; they also log my border crossings without NEXUS.

Even if you're talking about non US countries, I would still assume that the government knows the number of days you are in Canada. Data sharing within government and across organizations is also quite high, so don't assume that data is limited to one particular department.

In short, always be honest. The Canadian system is quite generous and you have choice in when you travel and how long you stay places.

Quote Originally Posted by mark0f0 View Post
    Why should Canadian taxpayers be providing welfare (GIS) for people who are not in Canada? And if they need significant healthcare, 9 times out of 10, they'll be back in Canada anyways to use the 'free' system.
    People I know pay taxes in Canada but don't use any Canadian perks for 6-7 months.Its silly to require people to stay in your province.Sooner or later governments will figure that out as well.

I understand that you get OAS regardless if you live in Canada or not, right?

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post

US-Canada data sharing is particularly strong, and I can show you a print-out that shows every single entry & exit of mine into both countries. It kind of shocked me when I first found it. At first I thought this was just due to my NEXUS card but it's not; they also log my border crossings without NEXUS.
    Mind if I ask how you obtained this information?

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    I understand that you get OAS regardless if you live in Canada or not, right?
    CPP and OAS are not residency-based so you can collect them regardless of where you live. GIS on the other hand is only available to those who meet the residency requirements, if they are eligible to get it.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cedebe View Post
    Mind if I ask how you obtained this information?
    Through the DHS I-94 portal. These records are visible to me because of my particular US customs & immigration status.

It won't be visible to casual US visitors, but I bet the same information is tracked for everyone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast