Snowbirds: Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowbirds: Who checks how many months in Canada in order to qualify for GIC?

Quote Originally Posted by cedebe View Post
    I just clicked on both links and access was denied. I then googled and found the relevant page, I think, on the US gov't website, but it stated that the info had since been archived due to a change in administration or something to that effect.

Were you actually able to see your info at time of posting, Eclectic12?
    The bottom I94 link worked just fine yesterday.

Just finished testing with both my passport number as well as asking a co-worker who has not worked in the US to try it as well. Both tests worked, with the displayed data matching up.

Cheers

PS

When I go to the announcement page from 2014 that the online database is available, it has the message "In an effort to keep CBP.gov current, the archive contains content from a previous administration or is otherwise outdated" at the top.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/spotlig...e-i-94-webpage

It seems misleading considering that the top of the page the announcement links to has an "Alerts and Announcement" banner that "The ability to create and pay for a Provisional I-94 will be disrupted during the times listed below. The options to view travel history or most recent I-94 will be available during this time."

The time in question is "Saturday, May 6, 2017 6:00pm - 12:00am (18:00 - 24:00) EDT".

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

If it is truly an archived/outdated utility ... one wonders why there would be what looks like maintenance being done on it tomorrow. The way this makes sense to me is if the announcement has been archived as Trump has come into power and the three utilities (i.e. Apply for new I-94, Get Most Recent I-94 and View Travel History) are still running/active.

The "View Travel History" subsection has the same alert & announcement.
    https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-05-05 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I heard that it used to be an issue, but I don't know if it still is today. Either fraudulent use of cards, or just getting the services and then not producing a valid card.
    Yeah, yeah... go try it , I bet you will be turned away ...
    For Ontario, it is a lot harder as this issue was one of the reasons the province started issuing health cards with one's picture on it and that have to be renewed every five years.

I have no idea which or if any other province/territory has put photos on their health cards. Based on the link talking about BC residents renting their cards out, I would suspect that BC at the time, did not have photos on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    ... btw, I've read that some Americans esp. from Florida were going to Cuba to get free health care.... one of the reasons why several years ago Cubans changed the rules entering the country
    On the flight back from El Salvador from a Habitat Build, there was about a ten page advertisement talking about how for particular medical services, the equipment was state of the art while the fees were much cheaper than the US.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic12 View Post
    I have no idea which or if any other province/territory has put photos on their health cards. Based on the link talking about BC residents renting their cards out, I would suspect that BC at the time, did not have photos on the card.
    When you renew your driver's license in BC, they ask if you want your health card integrated so it is happening but remains optional. A gold health card will get you senior's discounts, while they must read your birth-date on the DL.

I know several snowbirds who overstay their 212 days away and get health service when they are back. One said he was relying on the lack of federal-provincial data sharing. I am having my broken foot attended to and they asked when I went to Mexico (where it happened) but never asked for proof.

Another has lived in PV for years but continues to use his daughter's address in Canada. He went back last summer for medical care and encountered no problems with coverage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

In Alberta there are no monthly medicare premiums. It is part of the Provincial income tax regime. Everyone gets a paper card. We have never been asked for any ID whatsover. The only request has been for either the Alberta Health Card or the number itself. That includes hospital visits.

Seems to me anyone could get health care coverage if they had access to a card. When we turn 65 Alberta Health sends us, and our dependents another card for Blue Cross. It covers prescriptions. We pay 30 percent of the cost to a maximum to $30. per. I suspect that this too could easily be abused.

I cannot recall ever being asked how long we were out of the country or for how many days in the year.
    Last edited by ian; 2017-05-05 at 11:24 AM.

I do not understand the limit set by the provinces on how much time you are out of the province. If I pay my income taxes to the province and the federal government, what does it matter that I am away 5 days or 300 days. They still get my income tax, but will choose not to provide me with medical care. I can not even buy health insurance to cover me when home in Ontario.

Agree completely.

The issue is that CRA, to my knowledge, is not linked into the Provincial health plans. You may live in Canada and pay federal and provincial taxes.

There are others who do file or pay income tax in Canada. This is probably an attempt to ensure those who are getting service are also filing tax returns in Canada. It would be very easy for us to move to a low tax country, not be required to pay tax in Canada, and maintain a local address for Provincial health care in order to get obtain medical coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    When you renew your driver's license in BC, they ask if you want your health card integrated so it is happening but remains optional. A gold health card will get you senior's discounts, while they must read your birth-date on the DL.
    The optional separate health card is now a photo ID card....looking much the same as a DL. The old ones are either now completely cycled out, or soon to be.

My spouse worked in health care in BC prior to the introduction of the photo cards. During that period there were most definately people from other countries or uninsured residents who used the health care cards of their BC friends or relatives. Probably one reason why the changes were made. Also to get ready for the ehealth initiatives.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    ... The issue is that CRA, to my knowledge, is not linked into the Provincial health plans. You may live in Canada and pay federal and provincial taxes ...
    This is probably an attempt to ensure those who are getting service are also filing tax returns in Canada ...
    ??? ... in what way, where CRA and the provincial health system are not linked is there any follow up as to filing or not filing tax returns?
    Maybe I am missing something but without a link - the two are operating independently.

CBSA, on the other hand, that is part of the Canada/US border data sharing system would be of more interest to the provinces than CRA IMO.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by naysmitj View Post
    I do not understand the limit set by the provinces on how much time you are out of the province. If I pay my income taxes to the province and the federal government, what does it matter that I am away 5 days or 300 days. They still get my income tax, but will choose not to provide me with medical care. I can not even buy health insurance to cover me when home in Ontario.
    1. There are also consumption taxes that you are not paying if you are out of the country (i.e. PST and GST).
    2. You have a good point - if health care is largely being paid by income taxes, why aren't provinces more lenient about length of residence, as long as you are a deemed resident for tax purposes?
    3.OTOH there may be non-residents who are only paying CDN tax on CDN income, not world-wide income.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast