Isn't GIS really just Welfare for us geezers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't GIS really just Welfare for us geezers?

Quote Originally Posted by HermesHermes View Post
    ... But, ah, what a life I had living by the seat of my pants, operating a cash business in Canada and travelling in the winter, throughout my thirties and forties - ...
    By "operating a cash business" I presume you mean you worked under the table and paid no taxes or CPP? And now I am supposed to pay for your GIS? I think I should forward your post to CRA.

Last edited by OhGreatGuru; 2017-04-07 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreatGuru View Post
    By "operating a cash business" I presume you mean you worked under the table and paid no taxes? And now I am supposed to pay for your GIC? I think I should forward your post to CRA.
    Can't believe anyone would actually say that kind of 'true' thing publicly. It's the ultimate in anti-social behaviour and moral conscience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    Can't believe anyone would actually say that kind of 'true' thing publicly. It's the ultimate in anti-social behaviour and moral conscience.
    Sometimes the employers want to pay cash. nannies caregivers, jobs like that. poor people trying to survive is all.

CEOs? they are worth it? Primary qualification is being a ruthless psychopath. Research says so.Con artists,
    manipulators
    Last edited by wraphter; 2017-04-07 at 02:08 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-study-finds/

An Australian study has found that about one in five corporate executives are psychopaths – roughly the same rate as among prisoners.

The study of 261 senior professionals in the United States found that 21 per cent had clinically significant levels of psychopathic traits. The rate of psychopathy in the general population is about one in a hundred.

Nathan Brooks, a forensic psychologist who conducted the study, said the findings suggested that businesses should improve their recruitment screening.

He said recruiters tend to focus on skills rather than personality features and this has led to firms hiring “successful psychopaths” who may engage in unethical and illegal practices or have a toxic impact on colleagues.

“Typically psychopaths create a lot of chaos and generally tend to play people off against each other,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by wraphter View Post
    Sometimes the employers want to pay cash. nannies caregivers, jobs like that. poor people trying to survive is all.
    ^I agree. Most of the work I've done in my more industrious years when I worked multiple jobs day and night paid cash.
    I was unable to pay into CPP because proving that I earned the income was too onerous to be worth the trouble (I did look into it).

Unlike the OP however I saved a large portion of the meager income I made (through frugality and a spartan lifestyle) and was able to go into semi-retirement after an injury at 40, w/o any gov't assistance at all btw).

But like the OP I will likely qualify for GIS because CPP payment will be very low and I have no other pension at all due to working only in the private sector (except for my time in the armed forces, but those pension payments were returned to me in cash after my contract was complete).
    I think it's fair. I've done a hell of a lot of heavy manual labour and my body has paid a price as well due to wear and tear and injuries that no CEO has ever had to pay.

And being paid in cash also means there's no worker's comp or anything like that. It means living off saved cash and dipping into the line of credit until you heal up.
    Last edited by mrPPincer; 2017-04-07 at 02:41 PM. Reason: edit: CPP not CCP :)
    a financial message board can cost you money.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HermesHermes View Post
    ... I will be eligible even though I didn't contribute in any direct way....
    You may not be as eligible as you think. See my posts on your other thread.

Your posts are a bit irrational. You start by complaining about GIS being welfare, but then state you plan to collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by sags View Post
    All these government programs should be replaced with a universal income for everyone.

The current system is a convoluted mess of a bunch of unrelated programs that people have to navigate and government has to administer.

A lot of jobs are going to be lost to technology and there is nothing to replace them.

Governments have to start preparing for a future jobless society and what that means for everyone.

The decline of unionism and the loss of DB pensions will have repercussions felt for many generations.

The end result is a lot of people dependent on government programs for their retirement.
    (bolding mine)

I think the idea makes a lot of sense, but selling it to the taxpayer would be tough.
    Even though it would be simpler and easier to administrate than our current dog's breakfast of programs.

Personally I think the lower income tiers are where economic stimulation should occur, because it immediately starts working it's way through the entire economy right to the top.
    Keeps the wheels turning, especially during a downturn.

But people in the higher tax brackets are understandably naturally averse to the concept even though imho it would probably work out in their favour long term.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreatGuru View Post
    By "operating a cash business" I presume you mean you worked under the table and paid no taxes or CPP? And now I am supposed to pay for your GIS? I think I should forward your post to CRA.
    Yeah, when I pay my marginal rate of 46%, I don't have a lot of sympathy or support for those that illegally pay 0%. If everyone paid their required taxes, perhaps taxes would go down. I'm sure there's a huge laundry list of excuses of why people don't pay their required taxes, but it never resonates with me for sure.

ltr

ltr I fully understand your sentiment. I know many people that were in that tax bracket and most of them feel the same.

fwiw, for myself, I did claim my cash income under 'other income', line 104 I think it is, on the tax return, and pencilled in 'casual labour'.

Still was unable to pay into CPP though, on that income.
    ^ bmoney, in TPH thread.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    I'm in my 30s and everyone I know who is well off and comfortable in life has a job that is closely tied to or funded by government. Another way of saying this is, I am not aware of a single person (well one, Person F) who works in a purely private industry, who has a well paying job and is comfortable -- without government support ...
    Is there an age limitation at play here?

Person A, B, C & D: managers for publicly trade, non-bailed out companies.
    Person E: university professor ... obviously govt funded
    Person F, G & H: plumbers, brick layers, electricians
    Person I, J, K & H: management consultants/partners (they have only talked about working for publicly traded companies like Loblaws for the last five years but I am sure there's gov't work in there as well)
    Person I: architects (would need to get their list as like the management consultants, there is both public and private).

BTW ... the furnace technician said the money was good but he felt he'd picked the wrong career so he was asking questions about getting into computers/programming.

Cheers

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast