Canadian Money Forum banner

Canada Post direction

13K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Four Pillars 
#1 ·
This is the kind of government thinking that drives me nuts. You have a crown corporation that exists to do one service - deliver mail. Their volumes have dropped and are continuing to drop.

Instead of just downsizing the business (and reducing service) to reflect reality, they are trying to get into new businesses to justify their existence.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ic-shift-from-paper-to-pixels/article2402074/

#3 ·
any bills I recieve online come to one email address I have already, cost to tax payers for me to maintain this service = $0...They need to figure out how to make themselves profitable again be it negotiating labour costs, raising fees or cutting services if they wish to survive....I think I've only used 1 book of stamps in the 9 years I've been in my own place and I'm probably not alone in my age group or younger, almost anything i need to send to someone can be done quicker and easier online or via fax. 90% of the mail I recieve is unsolicited junk anyway.

#6 ·
They should do something useful that reflects the changes in their industry. IE set up electronic mailboxes for people to retrieve their internet purchases 24/7 like in Germany. Not very expensive and encourages people to use their service (which is superior to private UPS/Fedex scam artists imo) I love internet shopping but hate chasing down packages. How do people who run these organizations have no clue? They could also do weekend deliveries, seeing as Sunday is no longer sacrilege for anything else in Canada...

#8 ·
Full pension at 55 or 25 years, whatever comes first? My head is so explodey right now.

I did an entire graduate degree with a postie. He sorted his mail and then walked his route for 2-3 hours in the morning and went to school the rest of the day. My landlord at the time was also a postie; same work schedule.

I know I've complained about these two guys and used the same anecdote but holy moley. The funny thing is that these two guys didn't know each other or have any connection...it isn't like they schemed to get these great schedules - I was lead to believe that once you get enough work years in, that's what's available.

#15 ·
I moved to a new neighbourhood.

I like my superbox. It is close, secure, has a drop slot.

I also stopped checking my mail every day, 2-3 times a week is plenty, if it was important, they would have emailed or called me.

I see paper mail as a second rate information transfer system.

#10 ·
I'm not sure why they view ePost as a failed model. I've been using it for years and love it; I'd prefer to get all my bills that way. If they improved the interface and spent some effort marketing ePost so the number of service providers participating in the program increased beyond the current pathetic number, it would be fine.

#19 ·
I'm not sure why they view ePost as a failed model. I've been using it for years and love it;
I like epost as well. I especially like how nicely it is integrated with TD Canada Trust bank accounts. The only problem is that not every business is available on epost. Example: our Hydro and Enbridge bills are not available on epost. If epost can fix this problem, it will be a winner.

#13 ·
I live in Mexico and get everything I can electronically. My hard copy mail is fowarded for "mules" about every 6 weeks.

Aside from the the junk mail, I get annual stuff, like insurance renewals, membership renewals. I also get the results of class action suits against companies that I hold. And I get selected magazines that I subscribe to. There are services that will open my mail and scan it to send by email. So far I have not seen the need for that. CRA also sends me notices for assessment, GST payments due, quarterly installments due.

I can mail relationship information such as new bank accounts being set up via Mexican Post and rely on CP to get it there. This is a problem with the banks needing signed documents. Brokers also need these once in a while, e.g. private placements.

#14 · (Edited)
mail drives us crazy. we move around between our 4 places with mail delivery to 3 of them. Get as much as possible on internet but it is surprising how many companies don't offer paperless communication. Banks are probably the best. Annual reports fill the boxes every spring. insurance co's may be the worst. Catalogues and cruise brochures just cannot be stopped. We try to constantly. Eventually paper mail will be extinct, maybe 10-20 years?

#22 ·
I agree that epost is a good idea and could work well if all companies participated.

But why can't a private company offer this service? I hate when the government is in direct competition with private industry. As an example, as much as I like watching HNIC (hockey) on CBC, I don't think the gov't should be airing hockey games if private channels are willing to do it (and they are).

There are plenty of good reasons for having a CBC/Canada post etc etc, but they should stick to those reasons.

/end tea party rant

#24 ·
I agree that epost is a good idea and could work well if all companies participated. But why can't a private company offer this service?
I think we've seen how that works with Quicken (BillPay, etc.). When you put a private company in charge, they will most likely treat both ends of the transaction as a money-making opportunity (charge the service providers to offer their bills through the system, and charge customers to use it). Right now, the nice thing for me is that epost is free to consumers. Presumably the service providers are paying a fee to Canada Post in order to be part of the system (which of course is why they don't have a lot of participation).

Of course, if there were private competition presumably someone would come up with a business model similar to that of epost and consumers wouldn't have to pay, so everyone would migrate to that model eventually because it would be more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if a private-sector competitor to epost isn't already being developed; I could see ING developing their own homegrown version of epost, for example, which might explain why they aren't offering the epost service.

#23 ·
I bet you I've checked my mail box 7 times in the last year. It even got closed because I forgot to renew it. 99% of the time it's useless crap that I leave there in the recycle bin. I'm also part of the age group that probably doesn't use stamps, I've probably used 10 in my lifetime. (27yo). I think they should focus on epost, get rid of paper completely. Call it a day.

I use it for my power and Bell bills. Works great. I log into my bank account, says I have some ebills. I click the link shows me my bills and I click pay.
Boom. Done. Back to the golf course.

I think someone mentioned it but they could do well being just like a courier service with box stuff. Online shopping is taking over.

#26 ·
I am on electronic statements for Telus, Rogers, Shaw, TD, TDW, CIBC, Canaccord to name a few. I don't know any monthly utility supplier who does not offer soft copy today. All my regular payments are automatic, either to the CC or bank draft. I fail to see where ePost can survive because the only thing left are the outliers.

#28 ·
But the beauty of epost is that you receive all those bills in one place. You don't have to log into separate websites to see your bill, or receive bills by email and forget to pay them. Everything goes to one place (your bank's website); you log in, review your bills, and pay them all from the same website. It couldn't be more convenient. Quicken allows you to do something similar but after trying it for five or six years I gave up because there were too many small glitches and eventual incompatibilities.

#30 ·
What's EVEN more convenient is setting up autopays
True, and that's great for bills that don't vary from month to month. But some bills do (e.g., credit card) and I also find that it's too easy to miss the fact that some recurring bills slowly increase over the time if I set them on autopay -- somehow I pay more attention to the amount when I have to take action to pay the bill.

#31 ·
Why does whether the bill vary in amount affect how easy it is to pay by autopay? I have every bill, including credit cards (which vary wildly from month to month) set up on autopay. And I review my finances at least monthly (and usually much more reguarly) - I get notices of every autopay before it happens. I just do not have to take ANY action to ensure the bill is actually paid. There's no risk of a bill creeping up in amount based on how I pay it. :rolleyes2:

#33 ·
Why does whether the bill vary in amount affect how easy it is to pay by autopay? I have every bill, including credit cards (which vary wildly from month to month) set up on autopay.
In my case I guess it's because I worry that a big Visa bill will come up when I'm away on vacation and autopay will take care of it leaving me with an overdraft, or at least without enough cash to cover my expenses. Maybe that's an impossible scenario, but I do remember a few glitches once when I was in Europe and some bills were automatically paid out of my account in Canada and I no longer had enough in my account to cover an emergency cash withdrawal at an ATM. I tend not to keep a huge balance in my chequing account since it earns so little interest, so I'd rather manually transfer money in to pay bills when I need to. With autopay I feel like it's a little to automated for comfort. But that's just me, maybe I'm missing part of the picture (which wouldn't surprise me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.