Canadian Money Forum banner

Virtual Brokers

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  amitdi 
#1 ·
Hi guys I am looking for a new brokerage to setup my TFSA and RRSP accounts as well as my regular account and I am hoping to do the CCP couch potato ETF portfolio but to minimize fees. I saw an ad that https://www.virtualbrokers.com/platform-and-data-fees HAS NO COMMISSIONS. Is this too good to be true? Any one here has experience with these guys are there any hidden fees?

#2 ·
I had a VB account, but closed it. The GUI is not user-friendly. There are high FX fees. You cannot do Norbert's Gambit with VB. So I switched to Questrade. I would recommend Questrade. you can do almost everything online, including uploading documents, etc. there GUI is very good, and ETF buying is free. If you are doing couch potato, the difference in commissions wont be much at the end of the day, but you would get good service.

If you are considering buying US ETFs, then you will need to consider saving on FX as high FX fees will kill your returns. all the best. let me know if you have any questions.

#4 ·
Everyone's experience is different. I don't mind the GUI as it is, and they are working on a new one, I've looked through it but haven't explored it. I don't mind that you can't do Norbert's Gambit with them, but maybe some day I'll want to do that and will have to switch up. I do like the free ETF purchases, it's been working well for me these last 5 years. Money goes in every 2 weeks and I buy what lowest on my allocation, pretty easy. YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.