Terrorist attack in London UK
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorist attack in London UK

Super Moderator

Terrorist attack in London UK

A shocking terrorist attack in London, at the British parliament
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/london-...tack-1.4035964

This is quite horrifying. Obviously many of us have UK connections. I have some family in the London area and I haven't gotten a chance to talk with them yet.

Hardly shocking. Tens of attempts in the last 12 months in London alone. Successful murderous vehicular attacks by Islamists in the last few months:

- Jerusalem on January 8th
    - Berlin December 19th
    - Ohio November 28th
    - Nice July 14th

...but the most important thing of all is to make sure that James can have his laptop on board a flight and that emails aren't scanned for terrorist key words. Because that's what freedom is all about. And liberty. Did I say freedom? Not to mention western values. Those born outside Canada don't get liberty but James will very patently try to explain all the same.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Freedom means not living in a police/military state and having the ability to pursue life without excess restrictions -- yes this is a core value in US, UK, Canada. It could well be something that the terrorists are targeting, and want to take away from us, perhaps to force our countries to revert backward in time. It is plausible that the terrorists could "win" by dragging us down to their form of civilization.

A society that is permissive and celebrates liberties does bring some risks with it. There is an inherent tradeoff here. Think of the justice system. Sometimes bad guys get away with crimes, and everyone is entitled to a fair trial and due process. Police have rules they must follow. Police and government can't watch everyone all the time.

I know you don't like this terminology but these are core values in America, Canada, UK, Australia, etc. Many people have immigrated from all over the world to enjoy the kind of freedom that is unique to western countries.
    Last edited by james4beach; 2017-03-22 at 11:33 PM.

One of my friends has a friend who was killed in that attack in July (Nice) who was attending a University in Edmonton, AB but went overseas to be an exchange student. Pretty f'd up when things hit close to home. Wrong place, wrong time...I couldn't believe it.

And just last night before I dozed off I was watching "London Has Fallen". So right now my mind is just blown.

In the real, rather than la-la world, UK records on camera every step a person makes outdoors and communications are monitored, bank transactions screened, etc. We don't know how many lives have been saved, but we know of multiple terrorist attacks that have been prevented. And UK is a free democratic country. Also western.

Today a lawyer was thrown of a rooftop in Moscow. He defended Magnitsky against the Russian government. Only a plonker would think he can explain the difference between freedom and lack thereof, and what life is like in the UK to someone who experienced it outside of chat rooms.
    Last edited by mordko; 2017-03-23 at 12:01 AM.

UK is paying the price for its 1990s refugee policy. Other countries are too. Islamists came in from Algeria, Egypt, Pakistan...The thinking was they would do no harm in the host country that gave them shelter. Couldn't be more wrong. Ideology spread throughout Europe and beyond. The genie is out of the bottle.

Mordko is, no doubt, planning to troll this thread with an extended series of ignorant rants about Islam, so I'll just sneak in quickly with satirist Jonathan Pie's take on terrorist attacks.

If you have something to say - then say.

Yes.........exactly what the people wherever the terrorists have struck are saying.

The only way to end terrorism is to continually reveal the futility of it.
    Last edited by sags; 2017-03-23 at 02:40 AM.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

The liberals are drinking the cool aid on this one. We mustn't let them.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast