How much for Honda Civic maintenance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much for Honda Civic maintenance?

How much for Honda Civic maintenance?

I forgot to ask this before, but I wonder how much have you been charged for a maintenance service type B1 of Honda Civic 2014 EX with around 28000 km?

At the end of 2015 my car was just one year older and the dealer charged me 240$ for maintenance I thought it was excessive. The maintenance service supervisor told me that it was necessary to check everything electrical system, brakes and including the oil change. I didn't get it because the car it was newer than now at that moment. When the system warns me for a service Type A1 oil change.... it is around 40$. So how much are you being charged for this service B1 at the dealer with the same or similar kind of car?

Btw I live in greater Montreal. Is there a way to face the maintenance supervisor for this service. I think they are charging not matter what.

Thanks in advance.

I have Honda Civic 2009 .... service in dealership (Mississauga, ON) was always too expensive, they often replace stuff that not needed (and tell you that it's a must) or overcharge ... several years ago I checked reviews of other places and start going to one of them.... they charge 4 times less and fix what is really need to be fix.

We own a GM and I have never paid for maintenance checkups and oil changes were free for 3 years.

They even wash the vehicle and provide free coffee and food if you wait or a ride home and back if you don't want to wait.

My brother owned a Hyundai and loved the car. The price was cheap, but as he said.....they charge a big fee at every service appointment.

He also said if he didn't get the service done at a dealership, they would void the warranty.

As the old saying goes.........you can pay me now or you can pay me later.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Dealerships no longer make money on new car sales. The big profits come from used cars, and even bigger profits come from service and parts, and they are majorly inflated.

Whenever I've bought a car that still had warranty, I'd get the oil changes at the dealership, just to cut down on the hassle if I required warranty. After that, I do everything myself, or in the odd occasion, I take them to a local mechanic if I don't have a specialized tool. One of the worst scams dealers pull, is they'll do the work, and then submit it for warranty approval, knowing full well the work won't be covered by warranty. Customer will pay first, and then a week later finds out their warranty never covered the work, and now ended up paying the inflated dealership parts and labour.

Back to the OP. I have no idea what dealers charge for a checkup. Most often, I was never charged, and they did a quick visual inspection and told me it needed X and Y, just to get my business. I always say, thanks, I'll think about it. A Honda Civic with 28,000 KMs is pretty much a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    I have Honda Civic 2009 .... service in dealership (Mississauga, ON) was always too expensive, they often replace stuff that not needed (and tell you that it's a must) or overcharge ... several years ago I checked reviews of other places and start going to one of them.... they charge 4 times less and fix what is really need to be fix.
    The problem is that I still have the warranty with them.

I go anytime the car tells me that it needs a service maintenance on the screen.

I got the bills here.

They charged me for the first maintenance type A: 14mm washer, oil 0w20 around $17 + service around $40 (almost 5 000km)
    For service type B: Oil 5w20 4.5 liters + 0.5 liter, air filter, 14mm washer around $25 + mulitple pieces around $14 + service around $180 (almost 14 000km)
    Maintenance A1: air filter, 14mm washer, 0.5L oil 0w20 around 25$ + service around $40 (almost 21 000km)

Next week maintenance B1 with almost 28 000km........ who knows how much this time.

They offer me just coffee and they don't wash my car because I waited for the service. Next week I am gonna leave the car.

They also offer a service to take me to work or somewhere else.

I don't know why but Europeans do services for the same car at vastly different intervals. Most often is a once a year or between 40,000 and 60,000 KM depending on what comes first. Makes no difference whether it's a diesel or gas engine. Typically the costs are way higher as well, I pay for a Ford C-max between 800€ and 1000€ for a full service at the dealer. A non dealer would be about a 3rd cheaper.

Just stop going to them. It's quite simple. Do you really think a new car actually needs all that service. The dealership does but I doubt you car does. You don't need to go to them to preserve your warranty...although they will always allude to that. Never in writing though, because it is not the case.

Only go to the dealership for warranty paid work only. Every other service go to another mechanic that offers a competitive price...not the monopoly type price the dealerships get away with because everyone just keeps going back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin View Post
    I forgot to ask this before, but I wonder how much have you been charged for a maintenance service type B1 of Honda Civic 2014 EX with around 28000 km?...
    Looks to me like you should expect about $228.88 before taxes, assuming no replacement parts based on the inspection. In our experience, I believe we see the oil change cost removed from this at the counter (platinum?).

Honda B service.JPG

There are lots of ways people choose to maintain their vehicles. From full DIY on an older model, to a neighbourhood mechanic, cheaper garages, full dealer service or some combination. It depends on you, your needs and your budget.

Personally, we own 2 bought-new Hondas and the dealer we bought from services them, or another Honda dealer when we are out of town. I consider it part of the ongoing cost of owning a (new) vehicle. We put on a lot of highway miles, so are willing to pay for the preventatie inspections and discuss the state of part(s) they say need replacing/maintenance.
    From this, they have a full record of the car's history, and I expect complete reliability. On occasion when a rebalance didn't feel right or a warranty item came up, it is fixed, no questions, no cost.

Added: Once upon a time, I was taking the crv in before long trips for an oil change based on mileage. Two different dealers said - synthetic oil, not necessary, wait until the oil light comes on before you come in - and save yourself some money.
    Last edited by OnlyMyOpinion; 2017-03-21 at 09:38 AM.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic (bought it new almost 9 years ago) that's been through the wringer and still runs great. I've always gotten it serviced at the dealership. The type B stuff doesn't happen to often, and I've found their generally pretty candid about what should be done (ie: they'll tell me something can wait a while). I don't know if all dealerships have this, but I also buy the oil changes in bundles at a discount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast