Frugality has created buyer's aversion - thoughts? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Frugality has created buyer's aversion - thoughts?

We are frugal inasmuch as we focus, and we buy, on value, not price.

I actually feel happier with less things. "The things we own end up owning us."

I've been trying to incorporate minimalism to my life. I felt better after getting rid of a lot of my things. I hate clutter of things that serve no purpose to me, and I have to really think about my purchases for that reason.

Two easy things are having a "capsule wardrobe" where I have enough clothes (I go for well fitting, simple, and as timeless a fashion as possible) for a week, and those clothes are all items that I will for sure wear. Things are only replaced as they wear out. A second thing is only drinking water which is easy since I care about my fitness/physique goals more than sugary/alcoholic drinks and derive a lot of pleasure/happiness out of achieving that tangible success, so it's easy to ignore anything that doesn't fit into that, especially since it's already a habit.

I want bare walls, minimal furniture I can get away with, but one thing I won't cheap out on is the bed/sleeping arrangement.

And well, cars. I love cars. I don't want my garage attached to my house. I want my house attached to my garage. You can race a car, but you can't race a house.

Quote Originally Posted by WGZ View Post
    And well, cars. I love cars. I don't want my garage attached to my house. I want my house attached to my garage. You can race a car, but you can't race a house.
    Good thinking. In addition to that, when times get tough, you can live in your car, but you cannot drive your house. For the ultimate in frugality.
    Invest your time actively and your money passively.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I actually feel happier with less things. "The things we own end up owning us."

I've been trying to incorporate minimalism to my life. I felt better after getting rid of a lot of my things. I hate clutter of things that serve no purpose to me, and I have to really think about my purchases for that reason.

Two easy things are having a "capsule wardrobe" where I have enough clothes (I go for well fitting, simple, and as timeless a fashion as possible) for a week, and those clothes are all items that I will for sure wear. Things are only replaced as they wear out. A second thing is only drinking water which is easy since I care about my fitness/physique goals more than sugary/alcoholic drinks and derive a lot of pleasure/happiness out of achieving that tangible success, so it's easy to ignore anything that doesn't fit into that, especially since it's already a habit.

I want bare walls, minimal furniture I can get away with, but one thing I won't cheap out on is the bed/sleeping arrangement.

Agreed on all points.

Other than people who work in highly highly fashion-oriented corporate type jobs, I never understood how people have a monthly clothing budget. Why would someone NEED to buy clothes EVERY month? Do they get attacked by bears every other week or something? I've never been one to keep up with the latest in-season clothing, and I've always been one to take care of my clothes as far as keeping them in good condition.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you aren't married..
    "That's what I do, I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess you aren't married..
    Funny thing is my Ex would have agreed on all what I said, even the car part. But that was after I "enlightened" her with my wackiness; it definitely rubbed off on her and I could say or do anything and she'd go along with it, within reason.

Current GF I'm not sure so sure of yet, but she'll come around to the idea of it better than most I'd say knowing her.

I think for me it's just growing up with a lot clutter and useless junk to know I don't want that for myself.

I keep thinking of how my drawer for eating utensils would contain just two of each utensil. Just like how with my old Honda I could have most of the car disassembled, and all I'd need is a socket wrench with a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm deep socket. An extension or two, and a pipe or breaker bar for leverage. A kitchen can't be much different from a garage, right?
    Last edited by WGZ; Yesterday at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DollaWine View Post
    Other than people who work in highly highly fashion-oriented corporate type jobs, I never understood how people have a monthly clothing budget. Why would someone NEED to buy clothes EVERY month? Do they get attacked by bears every other week or something? I've never been one to keep up with the latest in-season clothing, and I've always been one to take care of my clothes as far as keeping them in good condition.
    I think for me, I find it much more cost efficient to buy an item or two every month, as I find things on sale than to try and pick one time per year to replace half my clothing. Also I try to buy things at the end of their seasons to get better value. If you try to buy everything from your winter jackets, to your shorts at the same time, it's hard to find things in stock even.

Quote Originally Posted by DollaWine View Post
    I never understood how people have a monthly clothing budget. Why would someone NEED to buy clothes EVERY month?
    I doubt the implication is that clothes are bought every month; only that the clothing budget is calculated as a monthly average so that it can be set in perspective with the other expenses that either occur or can also be averaged on a monthly basis.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234