US FBAR reporting followup hits Canadian - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US FBAR reporting followup hits Canadian

Thanks AltaRed for this warning. I am not a US citizen, but I do have a true SSN because the ITIN I had at the time was deemed inadequate for the employer's needs. As far as I know I have not ever told any Canadian banks this, but I will be especially wary going forward. I appreciate the tips.

Learned from experience. Never give the SSN to a Canadian brokerage in particular.

No, god no. No US address of any kind, no SSN, no nothing. Keep it clean and simple, only give your financial institutions Canadian data, regardless of your citizenship.

If the FATCA police ask you to sign a W8 or W9 for compliance purposes - i.e. not because you have US investments - then tell them to take a hike. Canadian banks should not be using US government forms to cover their asses.

A few years ago my brokerage asked me if I was a US citizen, and requested an SSN. After some back and forth I simply told them I wasn't a US citizen and couldn't remember the SSN I might have had as a grad student - lies, all lies - and they seemed happy to accept that. At the time I thought perhaps my parents had betrayed my dirty little secret in the context of estate planning, but recently it occurred to me the broker possibly had an old US address on file, since the RRSP was set up for me decades ago while I was away doing grad school, in an effort to reduce the taxes payable on my modest Canadian scholarship income (I needed all the help I could get with loonie being worth 65 cents back in the day).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Here's another one. Beware of which phone number you call the brokerage or bank from. Let's say you're a snowbird and are in Florida, with a land line and FL number. If you dial the brokerage from this, your US number will show up on caller ID.

To simplify my Canadian presence (I have homes in both countries), I use a Voice-over-IP "SIP phone". This is tied to a Canadian phone number in my home province of residence. This way, even if I am in my US apartment, I can pick up the phone and call the brokerage. This shows my Canadian phone number.

VoIP is an excellent technology to maintain a constant phone number, no matter where in the world you plug in from.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    Also remember, don't ever list any US addresses or US phone numbers on your profile for a Canadian bank. The presence of any US indicators will immediately flag the account.
    My bank had our MagicJack number (San Diego) registered because we get the calls in Mexico/ Canada/ anywhere. They recommended that we remove it so we did.

kcowan: it sounds like your VoIP used a US phone number. I have VoIP running with a Canadian phone number. I'm using CallCentric, and I actually ported my old 416 number over to them (number portability). CallCentric supports Canadian phone numbers, e.g. my 416 -- you can either buy them from this services, or bring your own through number porting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12