Canada Goose (GOOS) IPO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada Goose (GOOS) IPO

Canada Goose (GOOS) IPO

Anyone gonna take part in this? What should we expect?

IPOs are crap shoots. Like putting your money on red or black in Vegas. Let it trade for awhile and then decide. There are several stories of stocks trading below their IPO price within months of offering.

Based on history of prior IPOs, stock price often drops below the IPO price so I'd wait until then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

You still have to do your due diligence. If they have priced it fairly, then it is probably a good long term hold.

I have had spectacular success with IPOs that I chose. But it was a small sample of the ones available.

I agree that it is more of a crap shoot now.

This is a private equity exit. It's not priced "fairly" - it's priced where they can raise the most money, with a secondary concern being not fleecing the market so much that it falls in the first day. After that, all bets are off. It looks expensive to me. Most of the shares are coming from insiders, not for new capital to grow the business. Might not be the best idea to push through them on their way out.

Canada Goose coats seem to have fallen in popularity recently. I remember around 2010 they were the coat to have if you were one of the cool kids. Now there are many more competitors. They're still a quality coat but they're not as coveted by every kid any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Canada Goose coats seem to have fallen in popularity recently. I remember around 2010 they were the coat to have if you were one of the cool kids. Now there are many more competitors. They're still a quality coat but they're not as coveted by every kid any more.
    I find this hilarious. The Goose jacket is the standard in the North....and has been for decades. We aren't talking Muskoka North as per Toronto mind sets. The Goose jacket is a working class jacket and somehow in recent years became trendy.

I must be really fashion forward along with my other blue collar friends. I can't wait for my Tough Duck and Carhartt's to become trendy ... We will all be sitting on a gold mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ag Driver View Post
    I must be really fashion forward along with my other blue collar friends. I can't wait for my Tough Duck and Carhartt's to become trendy ... We will all be sitting on a gold mine!
    Don't the hipsters in urban Toronto already try to dress like lumberjacks and village people? Someone on CBC radio said the Goose jacket trend came from Drake and Batista wearing them.. and now they think there's international potential. I can't picture many Europeans buying this.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Quote Originally Posted by doctrine View Post
    This is a private equity exit ... Most of the shares are coming from insiders, not for new capital to grow the business.

the above is usually not a good sign. The original entrepreneurs are rushing to sell because they sense a market peak for their holdings.

there are canada goose copies from factories in asia that sell for 1/8th the price. They are indistinguishable from the real thing except that hoods are lined with fake fur, not coyote fur. The former might revive better than the latter after being worn in wet sleeting snow conditions though.

''bonté gracieuse et toute cette sorte de chose" - Astérix chez les bretons]

My understanding is Canada Goose's strategy was to target high profile users to spur sales and interest. From Wikipedia:
    The jackets have been worn in several films, including by Nicolas Cage (in National Treasure), Jessica Alba (in Good Luck Chuck) and Kate Beckinsale (in Whiteout).[19][not in citation given] American model Kate Upton appeared on the cover of the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition in a bikini bottom and a Canada Goose parka.[20] Product placement with celebrities was part of the marketing strategy when it went international in 2010.[21]

In 2016, rapper Lil Uzi Vert released a mixtape featuring a song titled "Canadian Goose".

Canada Goose even uses athletes to promote its products. During Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz's final trip to Toronto during the 2016 Major League Baseball season, Toronto Blue Jays players José Bautista and Edwin Encarnación each gave Ortiz a custom-made Canada Goose jacket, valued at US$1000. All three players are from the Dominican Republic.[22][23]
    Seems like a fantastic strategy to provide a monetization opportunity for the insiders. Given the extremely fickle and fake nature of fashion, I expect that surge to fade faster than indigo dyed denims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast