Living Apart, New Home, Moving Expenses and Taxation

Thread: Living Apart, New Home, Moving Expenses and Taxation

Hello,

I have a few questions about Living Apart and Moving Expenses..

Last year, 2015-2016 my wife found a new job over 600 km away, and we decided to start a new beginning and make this move. This move was going to take us closer to my aging parent, closer to her family, more opportunities for the arts and sports for our young children, and it was going to be new job for her. My question is, are we able to claim this move for these reasons, and if so what can we claim?

Last year 2015-2016 my wife began started the moved and she rented for that whole year all the while working at her new job and looking for a new home. I stayed back to continue on with my work, and to maintain our home by getting it ready to sell (finishing off the basement) and to take care of our children (ages 9 and 11). My wife claimed the allotted 15 days for renting, and I am not sure if there are other situations that I could have claimed, or might have missed or maybe shouldn't have claimed.

This past summer (2016), we sold our home and my wife continued on with our move to our new community this time with our children (so they could start the new school year in September). I stayed back to continue to work at my job (my job does not allow me to move at this time). My wife rented for a couple of months (September to November-ish) all while looking for a new home. We finally bought a new home and have now moved everything from our old community (moving company and storage, etc) to our new community. What if anything can we claim?

I have not moved and I am still maintaining my job for this year and possibly one more, and then I will move that way to look for a new position. Can I claim any of my living away expenses (rent, travel, etc.) from our new home and my family while they are living in their new community?

Thank you for your advise …

Can you be more specific on dates. 2015/2016 is meaningless when it comes to taxes.
    It would be helpful to post month& taxation years ie wife began new job Oct 2015 and claimed 15 days rent on 2015 return. Etc
    You wife may be able to claim certain moving expenses on her return but you cannot, based on the info provided so far.
    You cannot claim expenses for living where you are.
    CRA has a pretty good info on moving expenses. Start with this page http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html

Living Apart, New Home, Moving Expenses and Taxation - Questions

[QUOTE=twa2w;1504977]Can you be more specific on dates. 2015/2016 is meaningless when it comes to taxes.
    It would be helpful to post month& taxation years ie wife began new job Oct 2015 and claimed 15 days rent on 2015 return. Etc
    You wife may be able to claim certain moving expenses on her return but you cannot, based on the info provided so far.
    You cannot claim expenses for living where you are.
    CRA has a pretty good info on moving expenses. Start with this page

Thank you for your response..

My wife started her new job September 2015
    Yes, I claimed the 15 days on the 2015 tax year…
    I claimed the 15 days for the time between September 2015 and December 2015 are we able to claim another 15 day for this tax year (2016)?
    Yes, I claimed the 15 days on the 2015 tax year…
    This tax year, 2016 (September) we sold our home and bought a new house (November 2016) in our new community…

Can I (higher wage earner) claim any of the move and any expenses incurred?

I travel back and forth from my new home and family to my work...

Thank you I appreciate your advice

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

No you cannot claim another 15 days in 2016. The 15 days in 2015 should have been claimed on your spouses tax return.
    Your wife can claim the expenses of selling and purchasing the new home and moving expenses to move personal effects and furniture against her income at the new location.. Expenses have to claimed in the year incurred.

You cannot claim any because you have not moved to be closer to your job.

When you do find a new job in the new area, you may be able to claim miliage to move your car and other minor moving expenses like a hotel along the way.
    You can only claim moving expenses against income earned at the new location.
    Here is the full folio
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/n...f3-c4-eng.html

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your response...

Sorry I wasn't very clear...

My wife claimed (not me) 15 days in 2015 as she moved to her new position (renting). My wife has now permanently moved into our new home (we purchased) with our children. My wife and children rented in October and September until our possession date. Can my wife claim another 15 days for the 2016 tax year, as well as moving the old the house to our new location (truck rental, storage, etc.) ...?

I am still in our old location renting and working, and travelling to our new location every few weeks...

I know I can't claim anything until I move which will possibly be next tax year (2017)

Thank you for your advice..
    Dave

When you sold your old home your wife can claim real estate fees, lawyer fees etc and any penalty to break your mortgage plus the moving expenses to your new home. There is a mileage amount that can be claimed plus a flat amount for food for each of the the actual travel days. Check the CRA website for more information. Keep all receipts for any related expenses. We claimed moving expenses twice and both times CRA audited the moving expenses and wanted all supporting documentation.