Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay85 View Post
    Not only a no no but I do believe it is against code as well. It absolutely has to be tied in with a lighting/outlet circuit.
    Careful with this. Codes vary between jurisdictions.
    When I finished my basement a few years ago, Alberta code for wired detectors was to have them all on one dedicated circuit. Calgary code called for them to be on a circuit with other outlets.
    I see the advantages and disadvantages of both.
    I did them under Calgary code as my permit and inspections were through Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Careful with this. Codes vary between jurisdictions.
    When I finished my basement a few years ago, Alberta code for wired detectors was to have them all on one dedicated circuit. Calgary code called for them to be on a circuit with other outlets.
    I see the advantages and disadvantages of both.
    I did them under Calgary code as my permit and inspections were through Calgary.
    Good point. I should have clarified it to be in Ontario.

Thanks. As in my case, Calgary/Alberta, Ontario code may differ than Toronto code for instance. Most smaller municipalities follow the provincial code but larger ones often set their own.
    Codes also are updated to meet current thinking, so what was code a few years ago may have changed. Always check current rules.
    I got caught on this once and failed an inspection. Thankfully it was minor and easy to change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12