TD dips 3% today. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD dips 3% today.

Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    I'm not a pro but I would watch it on Monday and never pre-order. It's risky because there can be big swings at the beginning and end of the trading day.
    Agreed . Will watch it on Monday... may add to my existing position

A guy much smarter than me told me to wait at least 2 weeks after the shit hits the fan before deciding on an investment...I think it is good advise in TD's case.

TD is doing the same as Wells Fargo. Every time I was in there for some business, the tellers would look at my account and remind me that I still don't have a TD credit card. (Ok, they were begging me to sign up). I said no every time. Well, wouldn't you know it.... they sent me a card a few months ago. It's in a drawer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

My take: it's nice to see a correction, but TD was already the most expensive bank stock. It might not be a bad point to enter, trading down about 7.5% from the all time high.

However, it is a long way from the 200 day moving average of $61.56. That usually signals a better buying opportunity for the big banks; they normally trade at or below the 200 day moving average at least once a year, if not many times a year. It looks to me like TD has traded at that level one or more often every year for 11 consecutive years dating back to 2006, but it has not yet happened this year. And if you didn't buy the last time it happened in 2005, you only had to wait about 4-5 months before you saw the next good buying opportunity where it traded below where it averaged the year before.

I plan to add on Monday or when it meets my price. Long term the banks are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by doctrine View Post
    My take: it's nice to see a correction, but TD was already the most expensive bank stock. It might not be a bad point to enter, trading down about 7.5% from the all time high.

However, it is a long way from the 200 day moving average of $61.56. That usually signals a better buying opportunity for the big banks; they normally trade at or below the 200 day moving average at least once a year, if not many times a year. It looks to me like TD has traded at that level one or more often every year for 11 consecutive years dating back to 2006, but it has not yet happened this year. And if you didn't buy the last time it happened in 2005, you only had to wait about 4-5 months before you saw the next good buying opportunity where it traded below where it averaged the year before.
    Thank's for the perspective Doctrine. I took a nibble at yesterdays close at -5.5% for the day. I'm conflicted because the rising US interest rates said to be a boost for banks.
    Do you generally wait for stocks to meet or cross the 200 day moving average?

Thank's for the perspective Doctrine. I took a nibble at yesterdays close at -5.5% for the day. I'm conflicted because the rising US interest rates said to be a boost for banks.
    Do you generally wait for stocks to meet or cross the 200 day moving average?
    I don't follow a strict technical analysis, but I do tend to be a value investor. And when the banks are below the 200 day, it is usually a value that I cannot resist. I was last buying banks from Dec 15 to Feb 16, kind of been enjoying the ride since then. TD remains too expensive for me but I would probably consider NA or CM today.

I'm not a pro but I would watch it on Monday and never pre-order. It's risky because there can be big swings at the beginning and end of the trading day.
    You are right VLT and it is risky, and it would be prudent to sit back and watch, but since I wanted to buy few more TD's anyway
    I was pondering why not get some excitement into it , maybe taking advantage of big swings by betting say 100 stocks on very low price
    say $64 by sending an order before the open. But I'm afraid I'll have to find excitement somewhere else: I've looked up TSX site and
    that's what they say about the setting of the opening price:
    TIME (ET) SESSION
    7:00 AM – 9:30 AM Pre Open – Orders may be entered, but will not be executed. The calculated opening price is displayed and
    continuously updated.
    Which I think mean they try to tame the big swings and get a more balanced open - which mean I will have to wait for the delay open prices
    and than place my bet - which I agree is definitely safer.

Picked up 400 shares of TD this morning at $66.93. A little higher price than I was hoping for but still a good discount on last week's high point. We'll see what hindsight says about it later. Planning to hold for the long term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    I guess the stink bid got filled?
    Question now is- where does price go from here?
    It did! Only a small addition to my existing position. I won't be selling any time soon, so it doesn't really matter which way it goes right now. Either way it'll be good in the long term.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast