Ontario reconsidering a foreign buyers’ tax to cool housing market - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ontario reconsidering a foreign buyers’ tax to cool housing market

Quote Originally Posted by rebel_ins View Post
    The system is setup in favour of sellers, and their agents. Why is MLS aggregate sold data not open to the public? Is CMHC doing their job at investigating fraud?
    I think it's because the agents' association set up the system and the agents are paying for it every month. There is nothing stopping you paying for the access.

In general, I don't think the tax on foreign buyers is the right approach. Nor is it clear what problem it would try to address.

- If the problem is high prices, then effort should be made to increase supply. It's not like we have no space, but the government artificially restricts construction.

- If the problem is that the foreigners send their wives and kids who buy $2M dollar houses, pay no federal or provincial taxes and use the services and benefits, then all services to such people should be chargeable at cost + profit.
    Last edited by mordko; 2017-03-16 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    In general, I don't think the tax on foreign buyers is the right approach. Nor is it clear what problem it would try to address.

- If the problem is high prices, then effort should be made to increase supply. It's not like we have no space, but the government artificially restricts construction.

- If the problem is that the foreigners send their wives and kids who buy $2M dollar houses, pay no federal or provincial taxes and use the services and benefits, then all services to such people should be chargeable at cost + profit.
    Newsflash-we have a monster called CMHC-100% guaranteed by the taxpayers-the purpose of which is to inflate RE prices-your "high RE prices" problem wouldn't exist without CMHC.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I thought one of the provinces came out with a plan to increase house prices by giving first time home buyers a big chunk of cash. They cant make up their mind if they want to try to make housing more expensive or cheaper.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345