Travel insurance - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Travel insurance

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,914
    Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    ... Tips for the US, now that I've interacted with their medical system more. Before buying insurance, ask them the following questions and make sure you get solid answers:

    1. Which doctors or hospitals will I be able to go to? Different doctors/hospitals are members of different networks, such as Blue Cross, and the insurance may only permit you to go to certain locations. Ask up front!
    The Canadians in the trailer park in Florida my parents were part of knew which hospitals would accept Blue Cross, Provincial Health Care cards etc. Some accepted cash only.

    It was interesting at the time to read the write ups in the US newspaper critical of the Canadian wait times then have my brother wait four hours for two x-rays. The US hospital kept sending him bills for months after that he kept forwarding to the health insurance provider.


    Cheers


    PS

    It was puzzling to hear the trail park residents keep saying "if you are in a traffic accident, hope it is a Canadian". Then the local paper published a survey of Florida locals car insurance coverage. Despite state law at the time requiring it, only a bit over 10% had insurance though out the year. They would get it so they could renew their car registration/plates then cancel it.

    Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-03-31 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added PS

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    It was travel coverage provided through my TD infinity Visa card. Allianz Global is handling the claim though. I assume that TD has contracted AG to handle claims for them instead of having their own claims processing.
    Which I suspect means AG was the insurance provider instead of the TD insurance arm. I would doubt AG would want to just do claims processing or that TD Insurance would like the lost economy of scale.

    Stranger arrangements have been made though ... so it is hard to be sure.


    Cheers

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yellowknife
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
    Yes the irony is that some US hospital can get away with charging $75k per day and we travellers all pay more because of it. We have not been in the US for over ten years, ever since Westjet gave us a flyover privilege.

    My cost per day in our local Mexican hospital is 2000 pesos per day unless I am getting the insurance rate which is 20000 pesos per day.
    Do you still have medical insurance while in Mexico, or simply pay out of pocket? We drive to Mexico, obviously through the US, once in the fall, and back to Canada in the spring, for a maximum stay in the US of 7-10 days per year. Knowing how cheap medical care in Mexico is, I thought we would only get insurance to cover us while we are in the US but I am not unsure if this is sound.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member kcowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pacific latitude 20/49
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by ykphil View Post
    Do you still have medical insurance while in Mexico, or simply pay out of pocket? We drive to Mexico, obviously through the US, once in the fall, and back to Canada in the spring, for a maximum stay in the US of 7-10 days per year. Knowing how cheap medical care in Mexico is, I thought we would only get insurance to cover us while we are in the US but I am not unsure if this is sound.
    There are five tiers of hospital fees, and tourists with travel insurance are in the top tier. That is us.

    Doctors charge 500 pesos for a consult and specialists 700 pesos. Dentists too.

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic12 View Post
    Which I suspect means AG was the insurance provider instead of the TD insurance arm. I would doubt AG would want to just do claims processing or that TD Insurance would like the lost economy of scale.

    Stranger arrangements have been made though ... so it is hard to be sure.


    Cheers
    Allianz Global Assistance does claims processing for a lot of travel insurance on behalf of different insurance companies.
    Last edited by OhGreatGuru; 2017-04-23 at 05:01 PM.

  7. #26
    Senior Member My Own Advisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    4,920
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

  8. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Okanagan area of B.C.
    Posts
    551
    Our credit union World Elite Platinum Mastercard provides coverage up to age 75. 2 weeks max.

  9. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Victoria/Baja
    Posts
    221
    We used Kanetix as well. Purchased the cheapest of course.
    Please do not be frugal when buying travel insurance.
    I am in Tallinn, Estonia with my wife in the hospital.
    Not the time to be thinking about saving money on travel insurance.
    We all detest paying for insurance until that moment comes that you really need it. And that moment has come.

  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Toronto Area
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by martinv View Post
    We used Kanetix as well. Purchased the cheapest of course.
    Please do not be frugal when buying travel insurance.
    I am in Tallinn, Estonia with my wife in the hospital.
    Not the time to be thinking about saving money on travel insurance.
    We all detest paying for insurance until that moment comes that you really need it. And that moment has come.
    Well, I wish her the very best. I have to say that I have never seriously considered paying for it, but I will now.

  11. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Victoria/Baja
    Posts
    221
    Thank you. Arrived home safely. She is recovering well.
    Glad for the travel insurance. Will see how the claim ends.
    One of life's twists and there are many.
    So for travel insurance. "buy the best and forget the rest".


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •