Travel insurance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance

Travel insurance

Any suggestions for cheaper travel insurance? In BC i know of BCAA, pacific blue cross and td insurance. I haven't checked out canadian direct yet.

I go to the states quite a bit so i need a multi trip plan.

Super Moderator
    Absolutely, you need travel health insurance if you're going to the USA. When I first started travelling to the US, I got TD's Travel Medical Insurance: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...cal-insurance/

Remember that supplemental health insurance like this is only valid if you have valid provincial health insurance.

I thought the pricing for the annual coverage was pretty good. I think I may have gotten a discount associated with the university I graduated from, so mention the university and ask if there is a group plan for alumni.

I used the same TD Travel Medical when I spent a few months in Australia. However, I never made any claims so I can't speak to how good it really is.

Tips for the US, now that I've interacted with their medical system more. Before buying insurance, ask them the following questions and make sure you get solid answers:

1. Which doctors or hospitals will I be able to go to? Different doctors/hospitals are members of different networks, such as Blue Cross, and the insurance may only permit you to go to certain locations. Ask up front!

2. What is the method of payment, especially for expensive/emergency/surgery situations? Remember that in these scenarios you could get massive bills, easily tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Will you first have to pay with your own money and the make an insurance claim, getting refunded for it months later? If the insurance will step in, get them to describe the mechanism to you. This is really important. One major infection could incur hundreds of thousands of $ in hospital bills.
    Last edited by james4beach; 2017-03-08 at 03:18 AM.

Some credit card has medical insurance .. for example for our Visa
    OUT-OF-PROVINCE EMERGENCY TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE2 Travel worry-free. Your Out-of-Province Emergency Travel Medical Insurance is a comprehensive protection plan. If you, as the Primary Cardholder, are age 64 or under, you, your spouse (if age 64 or under) and dependent children are automatically insured for eligible emergency upfront hospital expenses up to $5 million whenever you leave the country or your province of residence for the first 15 days of your trip, without having to pay for the coverage – you don’t even have to charge your trip to the card. If you are travelling for more than 15 days in length, or are age 65 or over, you must purchase coverage separately for your entire trip (if age 65 or over) or the balance of your trip (if age 64 or under).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

In the same boat ... literally ... day trips into US waters. It'll likely be CAA but I'll do a bit more reading. Using the online forms the CAA 4-day multi-trip comes out a bit less than Blue Cross. Others e.g. Manulife are considerably more. And our credit cards include coverage as well ... but not for old guys like me.
    Last edited by rikk2; 2017-03-08 at 08:45 AM.
    If money isn’t bringing you happiness, you aren’t spending it right …

I have been very happy with Tugo:
    https://www.tugo.com/

As I am retired, I use a broker to purchase it as I need their help answering the medical questionnaire.
    https://www.firstrateinsurance.com/

Thanks for the replies. I feel like most of these insurance companies have very similar prices and similar coverage at 10,000,000. Has anyone had to actually make a claim under one of them? It would be nice to know what kind of service they provide.

Right now I have the TD Visa infinite (i'm thinking of cancelling it) and it looks like it only pays for 1,000,000 of medical coverage which is a drastic difference with most purchased travel insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by leoc2 View Post
    I have been very happy with Tugo:
    https://www.tugo.com/

As I am retired, I use a broker to purchase it as I need their help answering the medical questionnaire.
    https://www.firstrateinsurance.com/
    Tugo had the best rates I could find.

I found kanetix had the cheapest rates with allianz and ingle international quoting for multi day at 47.00. I think they just reimburse and won't pay directly though.

I use Mediquote because of pre-existing conditions. I have had 4 claims, 2 each in 2016 and 2015. None in this season so far with 6 weeks to go. All claims were handled without incident or delay. MY GP was contacted to verify what I had said on the application once.

(One wrinkle: I had to put $20000 pesos on my credit card upon admission and, when I checked out, they could not credit the card and cut me a cheque, leaving me with the accumulated reward points.)

The agent uses different companies depending on my status, including different companies for 30-day repeat trips and extended coverage for the 6 months. DW also gets coverage from a different company owing to rates.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast