Travel insurance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel insurance

I called Allianz Global today about the claim on my TD credit card coverage (which I paid to extend beyond the three weeks included). I submitted the claim for over $20,000 in mid-November, and they have had all of the paperwork since early December. They said that they sent out a cheque for the last piece of the claim (trip interruption airfare for my spouse) with an explanation of benefits. I am hoping this cheque will be for $4500. I doubt that I will get an explanation for why it took so long.

The cheque did arrive, so in the end they came through. It just took a long time, and they kept asking for more documents. On a positive note, they always answered calls quickly, and the agents got access to my file quickly and were able to give me status updates.

Hi Davis

Can you clarify if you are using allianz global or td visa travel coverage?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

It was travel coverage provided through my TD infinity Visa card. Allianz Global is handling the claim though. I assume that TD has contracted AG to handle claims for them instead of having their own claims processing.

I've taken an annual policy from Blue Cross have never used it but it has everything I want including emergency hospital flights out.

Last summer a couple I know were on a motorcycle trip in the USA 200 miles from the boarder they were in a really bad accident both were 4-6 weeks before being stable enough for a helicopter flight back. Each of them the cost was 75,000.00 per day medical treatment they had 10,000,000.00 coverage.

Yes the irony is that some US hospital can get away with charging $75k per day and we travellers all pay more because of it. We have not been in the US for over ten years, ever since Westjet gave us a flyover privilege.

My cost per day in our local Mexican hospital is 2000 pesos per day unless I am getting the insurance rate which is 20000 pesos per day.

Several years ago a colleague ended up in a Fort Lauderdale Hospital. He had insurance. They airlifted him home (heart).

He inadvertently received a bill in the mail from the hospital. It was $125K or so. He called his insurance agent in a panic since he was not certain what was transpiring.

The bill had been settled. The insurance company negotiates. He was told by his agent that the typical settlement is 50-60 cents on the dollar with payment wired immediately to the hospital by the carrier.

Actually, I don't get a travel insurance because I'm lucky enough to have it as a benefit to the credit card I use when I booked my flight ticket. However, if you wish to get any type of insurance, you must know some exclusions and limitations to keep an eye out for. Review clearly the exact coverage before considering one.

Quote Originally Posted by rikk2 View Post
    In the same boat ... literally ... day trips into US waters. It'll likely be CAA but I'll do a bit more reading. Using the online forms the CAA 4-day multi-trip comes out a bit less than Blue Cross. Others e.g. Manulife are considerably more. And our credit cards include coverage as well ... but not for old guys like me.
    CUETS mastercard includes travel insurance for 15 days, up to the age of 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaberwock View Post
    CUETS mastercard includes travel insurance for 15 days, up to the age of 75.
    Thanks for that ... includes car rental, and more ... https://www.choicerewards.ca/cards/c...ards/index.jsp
    Thought it over, application for the Gold submitted ... retaining that credit union account has proved useful :-)

Last edited by rikk2; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.
    If money isn’t bringing you happiness, you aren’t spending it right …

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12