Selling without realtor?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling without realtor?

Selling without realtor?

Has anyone here sold their house without a realtor?
    Is it a difficult/time-consuming process?

Went through the buying process about 5 years ago and found that the realtor added very little value. The lawyer played a far more important role in my opinion.

Is there any significant benefit to using a realtor as a seller?

I'm thinking of selling my house in Toronto in the near to medium term as I'll likely be leaving the city. Given the market here in Toronto, I don't think finding a seller will be an issue.

One factor to consider is that I may be able to write off the moving expenses, which should reduce the actual cost by 30-40% on an after-tax basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoney View Post
    Has anyone here sold their house without a realtor?
    Is it a difficult/time-consuming process?

Went through the buying process about 5 years ago and found that the realtor added very little value. The lawyer played a far more important role in my opinion.

Is there any significant benefit to using a realtor as a seller?

I'm thinking of selling my house in Toronto in the near to medium term as I'll likely be leaving the city. Given the market here in Toronto, I don't think finding a seller will be an issue.

One factor to consider is that I may be able to write off the moving expenses, which should reduce the actual cost by 30-40% on an after-tax basis.
    Heard it's not difficult (though somewhat time consuming), but might want to consider a comfree type listing or 1% realtor. You'd generally still have to offer 2.5% for the buyer agent. But if it's in a really desireable location, I suppose the market will find the price and potential buyer might force the realtor to bid. Overall, the realtors and the way they have set up offer night have helped fuelled the pricing environment we have today.

Depends on the market, in a hot market, it's easy to sell, in a slow market it's hard. It also depends on what kind of house you are selling. Ones with small markets are harder than say a starter home.

I've sold both with and without a realtor. You can also negotiate with your realtor to lower the commission.
    I'm not JustAGuy (without spaces), or Donald, or <insert name here>.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    Depends on the market, in a hot market, it's easy to sell, in a slow market it's hard. It also depends on what kind of house you are selling. Ones with small markets are harder than say a starter home.
    Generic house in an exceptionally hot market with almost no supply.
    Anything that has come to market in the last two months has sold within a couple of days.
    But there has also been a wide spread for similar product, and I'm looking to maximize price.
    Luckily, I'm not in a rush to sell, and can take my time, depending which route I go.

Best way to maximize your profit is to get on MLS. It's gives you maximum exposure. Of course, with no comisssion, some realtors won't show your house to their clients.

The real key to selling real estate, I'm no expert since I tend to buy and hold usually, according to my realtor is listing at the right price. If you hit the right price, the place will sell. Too much and it sits. Too little and you leave something on the table...especially when you list it yourself.

To me, the philosophy I use with my business, I believe you set a price you'll be happy with. If you get that, but could have gotten more, don't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoney View Post
    Generic house in an exceptionally hot market with almost no supply.
    Anything that has come to market in the last two months has sold within a couple of days.
    But there has also been a wide spread for similar product, and I'm looking to maximize price.
    Luckily, I'm not in a rush to sell, and can take my time, depending which route I go.
    I would say in this market, anything goes, and buyers want a desirable property regardless so you just have to clean it up. List it for 6 days including open house and have a firm offer night. That's the method that is causing extreme bidding. Now are you planning to offer the 2.5% standard commission to the buyer?

I've sold a few houses without a realtor. My brother's house didn't sell in 6 months with a realtor and I'm now selling it for him using ComFree. He's had more offers with me than he did with the realtor by a factor of 3:1 so far and I've been showing it for a month.

There is some good advice in here. If you over-price your house, you will tend to get less than if it is priced correctly. By the time you lower your price, it will be a stagnant listing.

Also, there are techniques to selling houses. You need to know them: don't be an asshole (even if you are), don't talk to people much during a showing (just let them explore), if the house shows nicely then you let it sell itself, if the house is in bad shape then you mention you are very negotiable early in the showing and leave them on their own.

If you have a pitch, such as a comparable, have it printed out and available for people to take. Set up a small display in the kitchen for people to take what they want of your printed listing, comparables, recent utility bills if that's part of your pitch, and purchase offer forms.

Remember: They are already interested when they show up. Your job is to not put them off.

With regard to it being time consuming: it can be. If the house is priced correctly and the market is good, count on 5~10 hours of work. If there isn't much initial interest, you will need to hold open houses. Open houses take time but you can sit with a computer and do work, or whatever.
    Last edited by TomB19; 2017-03-07 at 09:32 AM.

Just to point out, the number of showings is probably a poor metric. The number of people making offers is what's important. One of the "benefits" of a realtor is they put pressure on their clients to put in an offer (since that's how they get paid). This happens outside of the house.

I'm not saying tom's advice isn't good, but tire kickers just waste your time. I'd rather have one showing with an offer than 1000 showings and no offers.

Interesting that we've had different experiences. I've found the grumpy guy who shows up and blows through the house in 10~12 minutes is more likely to put in an offer than the couple that shows up and looks at the house for 45 minutes, measuring for furniture and what not.

I make a point of being pleasant to everyone, even if they are jerks.

I had a grumpy guy purchase a house from me six years ago. He wasn't just grumpy, he was hostile. He asked the attic insulation value and I told him R60. That caused him to yell at me, "IT'S NOT R F-ING 60!". I just chuckled a bit and rolled with it.

When the transaction was complete and I handed him the keys, he was pretty sheepish and said something like, "I guess I owe you an apology." I told him, "No problem at all. You've already apologized three hundred and sixty thousand times." lol!

Oh misunderstood me, I don't care if the one guy is grumpy or nice, I just care that he makes the offer. I too don't like the 45 min tire kicker. They just wasted more of my time.

Anyway, I was just saying the number through the door isn't important. Just like the number of clicks to a website is meaningless if it doesn't generate you money in some way, it's just costing me bandwidth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast