Selling without realtor? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selling without realtor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoney View Post
    Good point on shooting for a number and being satisfied with it.
    I have an agent coming over, will listen to the pitch, ask my questions then make a decision.

I'm looking to take advantage of a market that in my opinion has lost its mind. I think realtors are a big part of the market running away, by scaring their clients into getting in before their "dream home" is out of reach.

My concern with the comfree route is that buying agents will keep their clients away. Ideally, I want buyers' agents working for me, by pushing their clients to put in the highest bid possible.

Not sure how that dynamic would change with vs. without a realtor on my end.
    Yes, the agents will steer away however you should know that the majority of buyers find potential homes on their own. So if they want yours, they will come get it - unless they rely heavily on their agent who will discourage them. Then again, you can always offer some candy - such as a 1% commission to any agent who brings in a client.

I sold without a realtor and used Comfree. Is it time consuming? Not really when you consider each time a realtor shows your house you have to leave. When you sell yourself, you actually get to stay in the house and show it. So it's the same amount of time.

You will sell your place without a realtor. However many buyer's agents will steer their buying client away from fsbo properties especially if you offer low or no commission. On my property I offered 2% commission to the buyer's agent. I had multiple offers. Each buyer up'd their offer and both agents dropped their commission (2% HST included and the other guy dropped to 1%).

Things I found annoying - 1) agents calling to solicit their service to me 2) as JAG mentioned, the tire kickers 3) I had 1 unreasonable offer $100k below asking lol.

You can screen callers. Ask them if they've been pre-approved, do they know the area, how much the house is worth, bedrooms. If they answer favorably to this they're probably serious.

Also advise your lawyer of what you plan on doing before listing your house.

And you should have a strong understanding of what your house is worth so you know what to settle on e.g. get an appraisal.

Held 1 open house, 20 showings and 2 "almost" offers (but that doesn't count) and 1 offer. The second offer came when the buyer's agent called and said "my client wants to see the house tomorrow at 11am".

Quote Originally Posted by Newby1983 View Post
    I sold without a realtor and used Comfree. Is it time consuming? Not really when you consider each time a realtor shows your house you have to leave. When you sell yourself, you actually get to stay in the house and show it. So it's the same amount of time.

You will sell your place without a realtor. However many buyer's agents will steer their buying client away from fsbo properties especially if you offer low or no commission. On my property I offered 2% commission to the buyer's agent. I had multiple offers. Each buyer up'd their offer and both agents dropped their commission (2% HST included and the other guy dropped to 1%).

Things I found annoying - 1) agents calling to solicit their service to me 2) as JAG mentioned, the tire kickers 3) I had 1 unreasonable offer $100k below asking lol.

You can screen callers. Ask them if they've been pre-approved, do they know the area, how much the house is worth, bedrooms. If they answer favorably to this they're probably serious.

And you should have a strong understanding of what your house is worth so you know what to settle on e.g. get an appraisal.

Held 1 open house, 20 showings and 2 "almost" offers (but that doesn't count) and 1 offer. The second offer came when the buyer's agent called and said "my client wants to see the house tomorrow at 11am".
    Would you do it again? Sell it again by yourself? Or enlist a 1% Realtor?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mossman1 View Post

Would you do it again? Sell it again by yourself? Or enlist a 1% Realtor?
    I personally do not like the real estate industry and how it operates so I would do it again. I was confident in my ability to negotiate and understand how real estate transactions work and how to prepare my house for sale Given you are in Toronto you should be familiar with how multiple offers work, what you can do to get the best offer of the bunch and what you cannot do in multiple offer scenario.

I personally do not like the real estate industry and how it operates so I would do it again. I was confident in my ability to negotiate and understand how real estate transactions work and how to prepare my house for sale Given you are in Toronto you should be familiar with how multiple offers work, what you can do to get the best offer of the bunch and what you cannot do in multiple offer scenario.
    Having bought a place recently, if you know what you're doing (ie budget), the buyer side is definitely overpaid. I still can't believe they get paid for what I already knew what I wanted, and in this market, pretty much no conditions. For a selling night, it's the same. Offer night, price, closing, no conditions. Be firm on the rules set out. I guess if you're willing to put in the time, and effort, definitely worth. I plan to maybe sit for the exam later on, more so for myself (to learn the official way, and as you mentioned, what's allowed and not), or for close friends that might need some help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123