All inclusive resorts- quality of drinks?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All inclusive resorts- quality of drinks?

All inclusive resorts- quality of drinks?

Not really finance related , more like "value" related question.

I just got back from an all-inclusive in Cuba. Went with a couple friends.

I noticed early on that even after consuming multiple drinks, neither of us were feeling the effects of the alcohol. Personally, I usually start to get a buzz after 2-3 beers. But here, nothing. Even after about a dozen glasses (4-5 oz ea.?). On the second day, we went for mixed drinks. Still nothing.

During the entire week, the only time we were affected by the alcohol was when we managed to convince one of the bartenders at one of the snack restaurants to give us a bottle of wine. We drank it at the beach and felt the effects of alcohol.

By the end of our stay, we also noticed that nobody, at any time, had exhibited any signs of drunkenness. You would think that in almost 1000 people, some of whom drink all day, some people would've been seen stumbling around or at least talking loudly, being belligerent etc. No...nothing during he entire week.

I'm curious if anyone else suspects that the drinks are either very watered down or don't contain any alcohol at all?

If you think about it, it would make sense from a business owner's perspective to serve low alcohol drinks- reduce your liability for accidents/incidents, less vandalism, less rowdy behaviour (less security required) etc. But most of all : huge $ savings.

It depends on the resort, but yes it's pretty common for the drinks to be watered down.

Fortunately alcohol is dirt cheap there so you could head off-site and buy your own if you really want to feel it.

Complete BS , I've been to Cuba more than 15 times at AI resorts and was drunk 24/7 . Crystal is a light beer, but you can drink Bucanero strong that is much stronger then any Canadian beer. If you order Cuba libre and don't specify that you want strong, yes, it will be light... I usually drink straight, Black label, Glenlivet, Havana Club, Santiago, Beefeate, Vixia etc and it's exactly as strong as in LCBO

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

It would not surprise me the drinks are watered down. Drunk people could cause the resort a lot of problems with destroying property, fights, alcohol poisoning & disruptive behavior. i dont think it is just about trying to save money on the cost of making the drinks for the quests.

Quality of drinks..

I've been to Cuba a lot and have never experienced a lack of alcohol in their drinks. I have often had to tell them to slow down on the vodka and give me more sprite (their version of sprite). Most resorts also carry quality brands if you know how to ask properly I became a fan of Jameson's Irish Whiskey while there last month.

I have no idea what resort you went to, but I can't believe there is that much difference in their alcohols.. after all,,, the resorts are all owned the same.

...i (hic)..ush-elly...(hic)....sctick..... to beers an' an' an' wiiiine....ad dese plaches....hic!
    "Dos cherveshas, porfavor, y dos bino tintos, pleash..."
    At leashed u knwo (burp!) ..pardon! ....what yer gettin'....
    Also.... a little ting ..called 'ti-t- tipping da bartender'....will get u sctronger driiinksh....HIC!

Just to clarify....

-I didn't ask for name brand. We drank whatever the house poured. Should that really make a difference? Would they offer 0% a/c unless the customer specifies a name brand?

-The beer was Crystal on tap. Cans could be bought at a resort store. I didn't buy any to compare. There was only bottled water offered in the room mini-fridge. On the second day, left a note in the room with a generous tip asking to have the fridge stocked with beer. No dice. Housekeeper didn't take the tip. I've been to Punta Cana before and they stocked the mini fridge. Not here.

- I ALWAYS tipped the bartender. Average 1 CUC ($1.43 CAD). Compared to what I saw other people tipping, I'd say I was more than generous.

- On one of our outtings, we went to Varadero. I had 2 cans of Crystal. I definitely felt the buzz. This tells me it had nothing to do with the quality of the canned beer. My suspicion is with the resort bar drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    ...i (hic)..ush-elly...(hic)....sctick..... to beers an' an' an' wiiiine....ad dese plaches....hic!
    "Dos cherveshas, porfavor, y dos bino tintos, pleash..."
    At leashed u knwo (burp!) ..pardon! ....what yer gettin'....
    Also.... a little ting ..called 'ti-t- tipping da bartender'....will get u sctronger driiinksh....HIC!
    LMAO! Best post I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    LMAO! Best post I've seen in a while.��
    ...whaaaasshhh so funny? ....HIC! ...

Quote Originally Posted by frdm45 View Post
    Just to clarify....

-I didn't ask for name brand. We drank whatever the house poured. Should that really make a difference? Would they offer 0% a/c unless the customer specifies a name brand?

-The beer was Crystal on tap. Cans could be bought at a resort store. I didn't buy any to compare. There was only bottled water offered in the room mini-fridge. On the second day, left a note in the room with a generous tip asking to have the fridge stocked with beer. No dice. Housekeeper didn't take the tip. I've been to Punta Cana before and they stocked the mini fridge. Not here.

- I ALWAYS tipped the bartender. Average 1 CUC ($1.43 CAD). Compared to what I saw other people tipping, I'd say I was more than generous.

- On one of our outtings, we went to Varadero. I had 2 cans of Crystal. I definitely felt the buzz. This tells me it had nothing to do with the quality of the canned beer. My suspicion is with the resort bar drinks.
    Best bet would be to see if your resort will give you a bottle/can instead of from tap. I've experienced the same - tap poured beer has seemed watered down (at some resorts).

Some resorts also skimp on the alcohol in mixed drinks. I've found that if I want rum and Coke, best solution is to ask for them separately and combine myself (for example).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast