All inclusive resorts- quality of drinks? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All inclusive resorts- quality of drinks?

it's beginning to appear to me like we have some p-r-e-t-t-y experienced drinkers here on the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by frdm45 View Post
    Just to clarify....

-I didn't ask for name brand. We drank whatever the house poured. Should that really make a difference? Would they offer 0% a/c unless the customer specifies a name brand?

-The beer was Crystal on tap. Cans could be bought at a resort store. I didn't buy any to compare. There was only bottled water offered in the room mini-fridge. On the second day, left a note in the room with a generous tip asking to have the fridge stocked with beer. No dice. Housekeeper didn't take the tip. I've been to Punta Cana before and they stocked the mini fridge. Not here.

- I ALWAYS tipped the bartender. Average 1 CUC ($1.43 CAD). Compared to what I saw other people tipping, I'd say I was more than generous.

- On one of our outtings, we went to Varadero. I had 2 cans of Crystal. I definitely felt the buzz. This tells me it had nothing to do with the quality of the canned beer. My suspicion is with the resort bar drinks.
    Probably you went to a "cheap" resort ,I've been more than 15 times ar different resort in Cuba and always beer cans were free and mini-fridge was refilled every day. More than that , at Playa Cayo Santa Maria they have beergarten where they have beer cans, always Crystall, Bucanero, Buccanero strong and some imported beers (one time Becks, other Heineken).
    In order to get drink with 0% alcohol,you should specify it!
    If you want it strong, you have to specify it!
    Or just order straight...

Yeah the drinks tend to be weaker, but it isn't a bad thing. Most people drink a lot more at an all inclusive than they do the rest of the time. You can always ask for stronger drinks. They are usually pretty obliging if you do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

... I just got back from an all-inclusive in Cuba. Went with a couple friends.

I noticed early on that even after consuming multiple drinks, neither of us were feeling the effects of the alcohol ...
    By the end of our stay, we also noticed that nobody, at any time, had exhibited any signs of drunkenness. You would think that in almost 1000 people, some of whom drink all day, some people would've been seen stumbling around or at least talking loudly, being belligerent etc ...

I'm curious if anyone else suspects that the drinks are either very watered down or don't contain any alcohol at all?
    I've seen drunken behaviour at all-inclusives in Cuba, Dominican Republic and Mexico.
    (The beach games in Mexico were where it was the worst.)

The beer in all three affected me ... so I can only guess that where this was happening was different.

... If you think about it, it would make sense from a business owner's perspective to serve low alcohol drinks- reduce your liability for accidents/incidents, less vandalism, less rowdy behaviour (less security required) etc. But most of all : huge $ savings.
    Not sure there's much liability to worry about. Vandalism or trashed facilities I can see. Mexico at the minimum was increasing the rowdy behaviour as part of the day time entertainment.

If by "huge $ savings" you mean in alcohol costs - I doubt it.

Where "El Presidente" Dominican beer is sold in El Salvador for retail of $0.90, volume likely makes to even cheaper - never mind draft. Even in the higher labour/tax environment of Canada, skipping the Ontario Beer Store's $60 a 24 for Corona and going to a Quebec volume dealer or grocery store can mean paying $24.

Most of these countries aren't paying the labour price and additional taxes that are in Canada.

Cheers
    Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-03-10 at 11:46 AM.

I've had no problem getting bombed at All Inclusive Resorts. Maintaining for a week is a different story. Between the heat, food, water, and walking around -- you tend to sober up quickly.

Pro tip: Save all of your sealed beverages and use them to haggle with at the Market. (Beer can's and liquor bottle you win at various events ... I would always win resort Archery tournaments and get a Mickey)

Sorry for hacking this thread but who has experienced a fabulous vacation in Cuba and please share the hotel name.
    Looking to book a vaca down south and can't seem to find something decent

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage u/w View Post
    Sorry for hacking this thread but who has experienced a fabulous vacation in Cuba and please share the hotel name.
    We enjoyed Paradisus Princesa del Mar enough a few years ago, to go back twice. Not sure how it rates now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgage u/w View Post
    Depends what you are looking for ... If you want adults-only resort, I'd skip Cuba...
    We liked Playa Cayo Santa Maria , have been 3 or 4 times there...

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Depends what you are looking for ... If you want adults-only resort, I'd skip Cuba...
    We liked Playa Cayo Santa Maria , have been 3 or 4 times there...
    looks quite nice gibor...what's the pricing like?

Where one is flexible enough to be able to book then go within a few days, I have seen as low as $600 an adult, including airfare and everything but tipping for a week. More stars seems to mean better food, with an increase in price.

http://www.sunwing.ca/?optGateway=YUL

Cheers

Last edited by Eclectic12; 2017-03-10 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast