Have been busy going from working to retirement - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have been busy going from working to retirement

I will receive the money at the close of sale in mid april

I have a new house,vehicles,tractor,wife does not work,have enough cash in bank for 4 years

Like i said poor planning ,,,i guess i can place it in a non register account for the future

Last edited by 1980z28; 2017-03-04 at 10:44 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
    The OP is well off and retiring.... He is mainly exercising his 'new thread' finger.
    Looks to me like you have completely run out of ideas. Keep the money safe, something will come up and you will be really glad you have it available.

Is this thread supposed to be ironic or something? I think having a full RRSP, TFSA and 400K in the bank is good planning.

Nothing wrong with bragging threads, you should be proud of what you've accomplished, but it doesn't come off well, when you put it in a complaining context.

"Lock it up" in 100k chunks (or lower) to secure it. Find some HISA that have low MERs

To be fair, I imagine that there are very, very few CMF'ers that are in OP's enviable position. Having more money than you know what to do with it is a nice problem to have.

One thing that you could consider are organizations that facilitate micro loans to those trying to raise their family out of abject poverty (we do this with kiva). You won't earn any money but you could have a meaningful impact on families and even communities with your capital.

I think the OP is primarily lamenting that the money has to into a taxable account, albeit the original post can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Funny...new thread finger....

"I have money from sale 400k that i will not needed"

Nice problem to have. Personally, I would put it into a dividend paying ETF and spend the dividends as they roll in. XEI or XIU. XIU is very tax efficient.

$400k will churn out at least $1,000 per month cash for life. As you get older, spend it. You can't take it with you.

Enjoy and well done We should all be so lucky or diligent or both.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

It has taken me 4 years and counting to invest from the sale of our business ,been moving cash into non registered accounts and buying Canadian dividend stocks.I never once look at the cash balance and think I have too much or planned poorly .Start traveling and book the $12,000 suites on the cruise ship instead of the 'balcony room ' ,it will help ease your problem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast