Canadian Money Forum banner

Cheer Up Thread

20K views 126 replies 28 participants last post by  TomB19 
#1 ·
With all the trouble in the world, I thought it a good idea to start a cheer up thread of good things.

I will start with this. It is a young boy who sees his mom and the world for the first time with his special glasses.

http://i.imgur.com/r5cj956.gifv

#8 ·
Farmer brings water to wild animals in drought-stricken Kenya

When he's not helping thirsty animals, Mwalua is a pea farmer and the founder of the wildlife and conservation nonprofit Tsavo Volunteers. As part of that group, he visits schools to talk to kids about wildlife conservation.

As Mwalua writes, "I choose to stand for animals and please do stand with me to save these wonderful creatures."

#9 ·
this is a bit dull & sedate, but for the topsy-turvy US of A these days it's good news. The first woman & the first african-american has just been sworn in as Librarian of Congress.

Dr. Carla Hayden is also the first professional librarian since 1974 to hold the LC's top job.

the plain title belies the grandeur of Hayden's job. With 162 million items in its collection, including george gershwin's piano, the Library of Congress is the biggest in the world. Its imprimatur on knowledge? the LC runs the US Copyright Service. Nothing gets published without it.

Hayden, whose career has been marked by bringing library services into homes, schoolrooms & offices via the internet, says she wants to keep the "specialness" of the venerable library but she also intends to make it much more "familiar" to americans.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sa...ian-of-congress-and-the-greatness-of-humility

#14 · (Edited)
....now....speaking of cheer-up music....here's a song I loved the very first time i heard it.....driving along on a sunny morning.....Have a listen, and even if you can't sing (like me!)...close your eyes & sing along out loud to the chorus verse...with your eyes closed & moving your head back & forth to the music...And try to tell me you don't feel just a little bit cheered up after!! The Wonder-ful Stevland Hardaway Judkins....cha-cha-cha!!!
C'mon sags..olivaw..HP...zylon...lonewolf..1980..& the rest of ya I wanna HEAR YOU SING!!

#17 ·
My throat is raw from singing with Jargey.

No new posts from anyone else today so I'll post a video. Not sure if this type of thing cheers others up but I always like videos that remind us of the natural splendour that surrounds us.

#20 ·
Mr Muskos, a councillor in a small Swedish town, hit the headlines this week after proposing that municipal employees should be allowed a break from their working day to have sex. "We need to look after each other," he told the BBC. "If it can make relationships better it is worth it." Mr Muskos's lively idea is only the latest example of officials pushing procreation, as countries around the world find their birth rates in the doldrums. He is confident his proposal will be approved when put to his fellow councillors in a couple of months' time. If it does, the municipality's 550 workers, who already get an hour a week paid time to do fitness or wellbeing activities, will also be allowed to go home for some private time with their spouses or partners. Mr Muskos said there had been some hostility to his idea. "People think we shouldn't talk about it, they say people can fix this by themselves," he said. But he is unapologetic.

#27 · (Edited)
True story- I had a girlfriend years ago who had this habit of calling me at work a couple times a week to talk a bit 'dirty' over the phone. I would answer with the business name, and she wouldn't say hi or say 'it's Carol' or anything- just start launching into her spiel. The problem was that I was bartending in an extremely busy pub, and did not have the time nor the concentration to listen. I mean, imagine you've got a full bar during Friday lunch and the waitress are clamouring for drinks also, and your girlfriend thinks it's time to spend 5 minutes on the phone. I actually found it a bit inconsiderate and was also somewhat embarrassed at having to listen to it while I had customers trying to talk to me about their next round, I'm busy serving food, etc. I gently told her a few times that I felt it was an inappropriate thing to do but she continued doing it.

So one really busy day when she called, I just let her keep going, with me saying 'mm-hmm' and 'uh-huh' until at one point I said: "Yeah by the way, who is this?".

You never heard a phone slam so quickly in your life. Put a stop to that it did!

#28 · (Edited)
True story......I was in a crowded bar and met a young woman and her friends and we had a great time at the bar.

She gave me her phone number and told me to call her. A couple of days later I called and it was the number for an insurance broker.

I asked for her and they transferred the call. I say hi and she asks who this is.

She says...."How did you get my work number" rather snotty sounding.

I say...."it is the number you were handing out to every guy in the bar. You can probably expect a lot of calls".

She hangs up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.