Reits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Reits

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    349

    Reits

    Just wondering which reits forum members are holding.

    I am holding a large position in CHP.UN but looking to add another one in daughter's RESP - something to purchase, add every year and forget about until she needs the money.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniokca View Post
    Just wondering which reits forum members are holding.

    I am holding a large position in CHP.UN but looking to add another one in daughter's RESP - something to purchase, add every year and forget about until she needs the money.
    There were tons of similar threads, anyway , I hold a lot
    HR, REI, DRG, AX, CUF, SRU, SRT

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    West Coast BC
    Posts
    29
    Rei, cuf, and HR for me. Not too much.
    Cheers
    Doc

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by DigginDoc View Post
    Rei, cuf, and HR for me. Not too much.
    Cheers
    Doc
    I have a lot , but total REIT allocation is below 10% of total portfolio (that is pretty big).

    For OP, I'd never invest RESP into equities because of a limited plan duration, but if I'd buy REIT for RESP, I'd go with ZRE

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    I have a lot , but total REIT allocation is below 10% of total portfolio (that is pretty big).

    For OP, I'd never invest RESP into equities because of a limited plan duration, but if I'd buy REIT for RESP, I'd go with ZRE
    I don't worry too much about the duration - I look at it from a "total portfolio" perspective... Also I think 18-20 years is not that short. I'd like to add a reit position and RESP is a nice place to park it (vs. some US stock/index which will attract taxes on dividends so would rather hold that in RRSP). At the end of the day if there isn't enough money I could always pay the difference.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    229
    I hold VRE and SRU.UN I've been happy with both but if I had to do it over, I would choose ZRE instead of VRE (I like the equal weighting better). VRE is massively dominated by RioCan and H&R. There is also XRE but it operates like VRE.
    "That's what I do, I drink and I know things" - Tyrion Lannister

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    93
    I'm building out my RRSP with 13 holdings so far and 2 REITS. Have Dream Office and HR. Used to own the Keg Royalties Fund as a bit of a lark but after an unexpected but welcome large appreciation I sold it for a profit.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    I have a lot , but total REIT allocation is below 10% of total portfolio (that is pretty big).

    For OP, I'd never invest RESP into equities because of a limited plan duration, but if I'd buy REIT for RESP, I'd go with ZRE
    15-18 years + is a pretty long time to hold.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniokca View Post
    I don't worry too much about the duration - I look at it from a "total portfolio" perspective... Also I think 18-20 years is not that short. I'd like to add a reit position and RESP is a nice place to park it (vs. some US stock/index which will attract taxes on dividends so would rather hold that in RRSP). At the end of the day if there isn't enough money I could always pay the difference.
    If your child just were born, then yes, you have 18-20 years , but still you need to liquidate your RESP at specific date, you cannot like RRSP transfer it to RRIF. SO,would you moved to more conservative portfolio 5 years before RESP should end or 3 years?!
    Don't get your point about taxes, you are not paying any taxes on REITs and US stocks dividends neither in RRSP nor in RESP.
    Also wondering how are you going to withdraw money when times come? Do you have to pay withholding fees when you redeem from discount brokerage ? Can you redeem online or you should go to the branch? I doubt you can redeem online as government require physical original doc with your signature and doc about student enrollment... Aslo not clear how you gonna distinguish between PSE and EAP redemptions...
    I hold 3 family RESP in TD,one MF RESP for daughter, 1 MF RESP for son, 1 Term RESP for both of them. I cannot mix in 1 account MF RESP and Term RESP (as per TD rules). There is separate calculation on every account for EAP/PSE portions... So even in regular bank, this pain in the ass, esp that no one from reps don't understand how withdrawals from RESP works.... I already teached 5-6 TD reps about RESP rules
    Last edited by gibor365; 2017-02-11 at 01:34 PM.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    If your child just were born, then yes, you have 18-20 years , but still you need to liquidate your RESP at specific date, you cannot like RRSP transfer it to RRIF. SO,would you moved to more conservative portfolio 5 years before RESP should end or 3 years?!
    Yep she is not even 1 yet . I always have enough cash in registered accounts so could sell in RESP and buy elsewhere if I don't want to completely liquidate.

    Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Don't get your point about taxes, you are not paying any taxes on REITs and US stocks dividends neither in RRSP nor in RESP.
    I am fairly certain that US dividends are taxed in RESP (same as in TFSA). The US-Canada agreement only covers retirement accounts if I remember correctly.
    I found this link:
    http://www.taxtips.ca/rrsp/investmentsinorout.htm

    "If shares in U.S. or other foreign corporations are held in a non-registered account or a Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA), Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) or Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), withholding tax will be deducted from dividends received. These accounts are not considered "retirement accounts". When the withholding tax is paid from a non-registered account, it can be partially or fully recovered via the foreign tax credit. Withholding taxes paid by the TFSA, RDSP or RESP are not recoverable."

    Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Also wondering how are you going to withdraw money when times come? Do you have to pay withholding fees when you redeem from discount brokerage ? Can you redeem online or you should go to the branch? I doubt you can redeem online as government require physical original doc with your signature and doc about student enrollment... Aslo not clear how you gonna distinguish between PSE and EAP redemptions...
    I hold 3 family RESP in TD,one MF RESP for daughter, 1 MF RESP for son, 1 Term RESP for both of them. I cannot mix in 1 account MF RESP and Term RESP (as per TD rules). There is separate calculation on every account for EAP/PSE portions... So even in regular bank, this pain in the ass, esp that no one from reps don't understand how withdrawals from RESP works.... I already teached 5-6 TD reps about RESP rules
    I haven't thought about this at all to be honest. Worst case scenario I can transfer to another institution (it's usually $100-$150 so not terrible). I think as long as I keep detailed paperwork it should be solvable.

    Last edited by Saniokca; 2017-02-11 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added a link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •