Canadian Money Forum banner

Reits

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Ponderling 
#1 ·
Just wondering which reits forum members are holding.

I am holding a large position in CHP.UN but looking to add another one in daughter's RESP - something to purchase, add every year and forget about until she needs the money.

#6 ·
I hold VRE and SRU.UN I've been happy with both but if I had to do it over, I would choose ZRE instead of VRE (I like the equal weighting better). VRE is massively dominated by RioCan and H&R. There is also XRE but it operates like VRE.

#17 ·
I think I'm finally going to change course... I have been holding ZRE for a while now, but can't get over the 0.6% MER for only 19 holdings. I've looked closely at VRE and XRE as well and can get more than 50% of what is in these ETFs by holding REI.UN, HR.UN, CAR.UN, SRU.UN and REF.UN.

From a quick look it seems like I'd still be getting pretty good diversification in the various REIT classes; Residential, Office, Retail.
I see a number of people doing this as well. How did others come up with their basket of REITs to avoid paying the costly MER on REIT ETFs? Any thoughts on if the 5 suggested REITs above concentrate too much on one class?

#18 ·
Hello,

I had a similar thread elsewhere and started with the same concerns - I didn't want to pay 0.60% MER for 19 equally balanced REITs so decided to roll my own. This is my list and some of the reasons why I chose each of them. Feel free to comment.

REI.UN - largest, retail + office, 5.35% yield, 0.27 beta, AFFO = 91.55%, Occupancy = 95.60%, Debt = 40.00%
CAR.UN - large, residential, good grown but low yield, -0.18 beta (great!), above metrics are 75.00% 98.70% 44.31%
AX.UN - medium size, diversified, beat up lately due to Alberta but good growth potential, 8.0% yield, metrics: 88.50% 92.00% 51.00%
AAR.UN - medium size, industrial, focused on ecommerce distribution and logistics FedEx is 25% of client base, 5% yield, metrics: 86.60% 95.60% 42.30%
NWH.UN - small, medical buildings and hospitals in 5 countries, good diversification, 7.34% yield, metrics: 93.00% 95.60% 51.50%
SOT.UN - very small, office, great sustainable yield of 9.23% but probably not much growth due to this, metrics: 87.60% 86.40% 59.10%

Equal weight them all 1/6 yeah. Average yield comes to about 6.5%. Used http://portfoliovisualizer.com/ to compare inner correlations and tried to keep them small. Also wanted to keep the basket with as low correlation to the TSX as possible.

Currently hold 12% of total portfolio in those but 2 of them I haven't purchased yet.

That's all I have. Hope it's useful.

Cheers,
JC

#19 ·
Im in CAR, KMP, NWH, and VRE in my RRSP, in the same vein as JC above - on modest returns, long term 0.6 drag does pile up as to the hit you take over time.

Then RSI as a commodity I don't see dying off soon. and FSC as a real estate management and the services management buys , largely.

Wife has FCR as her RE play in her RRSP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.