How do you stop yourself from spending money on toys? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop yourself from spending money on toys?

Friend had a 2011 328i XDrive. It was a bit of a headache towards the end, and he would've had to shell out 6000 had it not been for warranty. Interiors are highly overrated and I'm never impressed by E46 or E90/92 3 series interiors.

He ended up trading it in after those repairs, as it doesn't have any warranty left. He, and I quote, "upgraded to a new Ford Focus ST". I agree with him, it is a nicer car than that piece of junk BMW. Ford is the only domestic brand I really like, and want to own.

I had six or seven new Fords. Company cars. Kept them for one year. Lincoln, Taurus, Escapes.

Would not buy another Ford. Delivery problems with all of them. Lots of other issues, cars in the shop for several weeks at a time. Poor dealer service. Perhaps I had seven lemons in a row. Just thankful that I did not own them or have to pay for rentals when they were in the shop.

I owned a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid for several years. There is no way I would claim that it was better or more reliable than a German car. 4x4 transfer case failed, rear glass shattered because of a poor mounting design, several significant engine issues etc. And I'm comparing that to my tuned BMW 335i which sees significantly more drivetrain abuse.

Having said that, I'm happy that people are trashing German cars. It helps keep the price down on used ones. The total ownership cost of my Porsche 996 has likely been lower than a Toyota Corolla. But __way__ more fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Same here. Transmission replacements, power steering cable issues, engine monitor module failures. Last time the service advisor drove it up to the front door of the dealership for me, after it had been in the shop for a new transmission at 18K, the engine trouble light was actually on. I had to wait for every part. Apparently there was a backlog. Absolutely no comparison to the service experience that we have had at Toyota and at Honda dealerships.

hot diggity dog

You know that you cannot take your cars with you in the afterlife. You can just rely on self-control and save money in case of emergency. You will need it especially when you have a family to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by vega View Post
    You know that you cannot take your cars with you in the afterlife.
    Wait, so you can bring your cash with you now?

I jest of course, you obviously want to make sure you have enough to take care of your family, and account for emergencies, that is most important.

But at the end of the day, whether you spend it or save it, you still can't take it with you. It isn't about spending money, but you have to enjoy the time while you have it.

Thoughts about a hybrid Toyota RAV4 or something similar size in a hybrid? Looking at 2018 for purchase.

It would be nice to get a toy, i.e., sporty BMW but I hear from many people they are a money pit for a used car. Not cool.
    Hidden Content - Working on a $1 million portfolio and $30k per year from it.

Quote Originally Posted by vega View Post
    You know that you cannot take your cars with you in the afterlife.
    That's why frugal people drive such beater cars. No point leaving a nice set of wheels behind.
    Eschew obfuscation. Espouse elucidation

Quote Originally Posted by My Own Advisor View Post
    It would be nice to get a toy, i.e., sporty BMW but I hear from many people they are a money pit for a used car. Not cool.
    If you're like the poster above who would agree to pay the dealer to replace the door to fix the locks, then stay away. BMW has a reputation of being expensive in Canada because Canadians are gullible and pay inflated prices

I was surprised that it was actually much easier to work on my BMW than my previous Honda. But when the dealer tries to sell me x BMW part that can be sourced from the actual supplier at a fraction of the cost I can see where people get the idea

The price and quality of BMW models vary drastically so painting a brand with one stroke is futile. Soon there will be front wheel drive BMWs made in Mexico that are comparable to any other mass market slush box
    amat victoria curam

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    My question is not specific to cars but any expensive things you want but don't need.
    In the case of BMWs in particular I think they used to be cool but I believe they're almost universally perceived as mid-life crisis purchases now, which puts them right up there with taking public transit or smoking.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast