How do you stop yourself from spending money on toys? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you stop yourself from spending money on toys?

Here's how I stop myself:

Thinking of what a pain in the butt it's going to be to keep getting the car repaired, how upsetting it will be as it develops problems, and the lingering strange noise that sounds like a problem to me yet the mechanics say is nothing... and thinking how I spent 56K and still didn't get perfection and have to deal with that noise.

I'd also think about how I likely won't have enough money to retire as it is, and how a single purchase like this can set me further back.

If this kind of purchase really will NOT compromise your ability to retire or make your money last for the rest of your life, then by all means go ahead and spend it!

How do you stop yourself from spending money on toys?

Here's what I did: Got married, wife had baby and quit work, wife had another baby, I was sole breadwinner and responsible for all family income from that point on. Still am after 46 years.

If you have to have it then buy it and not worry about the pain you caused your financial situation. Do whatever you want on everything if it makes you happy and live with it and don't look back. If however you feel you don't want to live with your spending problems down the road then don't do it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Imagine having to drive into work and look at your bosses stupid face for another 3 yrs while you pay that thing off.

Freedom is the number one asset period. Nothing gets me as fired up as having FU money and nobody to ride me. I will drive a kids trike around the neighbor hood before I work for another man again.

That's awesome, tygrus. Big respect for that

I choose not to because I'm a god damn adult and can control my base impulses? Not to be crazy....

Delete
    Last edited by peterk; 2017-02-03 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bds View Post
    Coming from a fellow car guy, don't bother talking about cars (or any other depreciating item) on a financial forum, it's a waste of time.

Also coming from a car guy, old sports cars are far more fun, more interesting, and cheaper than a new one.
    I agree with that. I love the smell of gasoline in the morning.........LOL.

I miss my garage more than my house.

Had a bunch of toys and rarely drove any of them. Just shined them up, started the engines and stood back and loved them all.

A warm summer night........a bottle of coke in hand and music playing on the radio, sparkling toys in the garage and the boys coming over for a chat..........heaven on earth.
    Last edited by sags; 2017-02-03 at 07:01 PM.
    Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

that sure is one helluva good-looking car. No wonder you feel wistful.

perhaps you could consult m3s? he used to race BMWs in europe, i believe. Not sure if he brought any back to canada, north american regulations prevent the importation of many european late model cars unless they were specifically manufactured to north american specs.

''bonté gracieuse et toute cette sorte de chose" - Astérix chez les bretons]

Be still my heart............

Someone planted a tree a long time ago so I can sit in the shade.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast