Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mawer Launches New Fund

Mawer Launches New Fund

http://www.mawer.com/our-funds/fund-...-fund-profile/

Mawer Emerging Markets Equity Fund

MER is surprisingly high 1.6%!

Quote Originally Posted by dubmac View Post
    MER is surprisingly high 1.6%!
    If you are hoping for 7% return from these grifters they are charging you 1.6/7 or 22.8% a year for the honour of giving them your money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

MER includes various trading costs. They are not charging you 1.6 percent, but the cost is 1.6 percent. Running an active EM fund is more difficult and expensive than running something in N America.

Not that I am advocating this fund but by Canadian standards it's not expensive for EM.

I'm hesitant to describe Mawer as a grifter -
    true the company is in the business to make $, but for the most part their funds are more reasonable than most. Their Balanced fund costs less that 1% MER - which is close to some expensive ETF's.
    I can't think of any US, Int'l or emerging Market Funds that charge less than 1.5%. I know that Mawer has it's research advisers posted in many different countries, it is likely that the fee is designed to support these teams - (as well as make a profit)

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    MER includes various trading costs. They are not charging you 1.6 percent, but the cost is 1.6 percent. Running an active EM fund is more difficult and expensive than running something in N America.

Not that I am advocating this fund but by Canadian standards it's not expensive for EM.
    If you are being charged 1.6% the cost to you is 1.6% divided by your expected return. Slowly the sheep are starting to realize that even a fee like this is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by dubmac View Post
    I'm hesitant to describe Mawer as a grifter -
    true the company is in the business to make $, but for the most part their funds are more reasonable than most. Their Balanced fund costs less that 1% MER - which is close to some expensive ETF's.
    I can't think of any US, Int'l or emerging Market Funds that charge less than 1.5%. I know that Mawer has it's research advisers posted in many different countries, it is likely that the fee is designed to support these teams - (as well as make a profit)
    I understand these guys have expenses-but to you that should be irrelevant-the bottom line is over the long term are you confident they are going to get you more than 1.6% every year, year in year out, then you will get yourself.

^ Isn't "emerging" markets the next "in" thing, like being on the ground-floor?
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    If you are hoping for 7% return from these grifters they are charging you 1.6/7 or 22.8% a year for the honour of giving them your money.
    Grifters. That's great nelley. After 1,307 posts, I haven't seen any comments, much less advice, that belong on a money forum. So I'll take this one for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    If you are being charged 1.6% the cost to you is 1.6% divided by your expected return. Slowly the sheep are starting to realize that even a fee like this is huge.
    Not baaaad nelley. A math lesson, that's almost a money forum type post. We won't ask how your relationship with sheep enters into it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast