Mawer Launches New Fund
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Mawer Launches New Fund

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    Posts
    395

    Mawer Launches New Fund

    http://www.mawer.com/our-funds/fund-...-fund-profile/

    Mawer Emerging Markets Equity Fund


  2. #2
    Senior Member dubmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    1,049
    MER is surprisingly high 1.6%!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by dubmac View Post
    MER is surprisingly high 1.6%!
    If you are hoping for 7% return from these grifters they are charging you 1.6/7 or 22.8% a year for the honour of giving them your money.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3,580
    MER includes various trading costs. They are not charging you 1.6 percent, but the cost is 1.6 percent. Running an active EM fund is more difficult and expensive than running something in N America.

    Not that I am advocating this fund but by Canadian standards it's not expensive for EM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member dubmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    1,049
    I'm hesitant to describe Mawer as a grifter -
    true the company is in the business to make $, but for the most part their funds are more reasonable than most. Their Balanced fund costs less that 1% MER - which is close to some expensive ETF's.
    I can't think of any US, Int'l or emerging Market Funds that charge less than 1.5%. I know that Mawer has it's research advisers posted in many different countries, it is likely that the fee is designed to support these teams - (as well as make a profit)

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    MER includes various trading costs. They are not charging you 1.6 percent, but the cost is 1.6 percent. Running an active EM fund is more difficult and expensive than running something in N America.

    Not that I am advocating this fund but by Canadian standards it's not expensive for EM.
    If you are being charged 1.6% the cost to you is 1.6% divided by your expected return. Slowly the sheep are starting to realize that even a fee like this is huge.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by dubmac View Post
    I'm hesitant to describe Mawer as a grifter -
    true the company is in the business to make $, but for the most part their funds are more reasonable than most. Their Balanced fund costs less that 1% MER - which is close to some expensive ETF's.
    I can't think of any US, Int'l or emerging Market Funds that charge less than 1.5%. I know that Mawer has it's research advisers posted in many different countries, it is likely that the fee is designed to support these teams - (as well as make a profit)
    I understand these guys have expenses-but to you that should be irrelevant-the bottom line is over the long term are you confident they are going to get you more than 1.6% every year, year in year out, then you will get yourself.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Beaver101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,848
    ^ Isn't "emerging" markets the next "in" thing, like being on the ground-floor?
    Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.-A. Einstein

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    If you are hoping for 7% return from these grifters they are charging you 1.6/7 or 22.8% a year for the honour of giving them your money.
    Grifters. That's great nelley. After 1,307 posts, I haven't seen any comments, much less advice, that belong on a money forum. So I'll take this one for what its worth.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelley View Post
    If you are being charged 1.6% the cost to you is 1.6% divided by your expected return. Slowly the sheep are starting to realize that even a fee like this is huge.
    Not baaaad nelley. A math lesson, that's almost a money forum type post. We won't ask how your relationship with sheep enters into it.


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •