Mawer Launches New Fund - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mawer Launches New Fund

There are some good mutual funds out there, and they can perform well even with high MERs.

One example that comes to mind is Beutel Goodman Small Cap (1.49% MER). Its 5 year performance is 9.68% per year. Compare that to the low fee index ETF, iShares XCS, which only returned 2.31%. No contest! I bring up this example because Canadian small caps are another specialized area where a good manager adds value.

Straying off topic, but the 15 year performance of Beutel Goodman Small Cap is a whopping 10.23% per year. The only thing that repelled me from this fund was the front end load (or is it another load)? Those confuse the heck out of me. It might still be worth holding despite that.

So did more digging, is there an ETF that tracks the Citi World Government Bond Index. This seems to be the curative for dropping stock markets - it made almost 40% in 2008!

Yeah, Beutel Small Cap caught my eye too. I am buying it through work at 0.4% MER and no loading. I'd like to have 20 to 30% of Canadian allocation in small caps and this is one case when I prefer a mutual fund to a tracker. Of course past overperformance might not extend into the future.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mordko View Post
    Yeah, Beutel Small Cap caught my eye too. I am buying it through work at 0.4% MER and no loading. I'd like to have 20 to 30% of Canadian allocation in small caps and this is one case when I prefer a mutual fund to a tracker. Of course past overperformance might not extend into the future.
    Interesting. Is that a special arrangement through your work? I am interested in buying this through TDDI or Scotia iTrade ... any idea how that would work? It seems that the MER would be higher, at 1.49%, and I can't figure out the story with the loads. It sounds like any time I add new money into the fund, there would be a fee taken off that (front load).

Pretty hard to ignore a fund that works in a specialized space like this, with 13.3% annual return since inception in 1995. This is significantly higher than the Canadian index. Could the fund managers really be this good? 22 year history can't be an anomaly.
    Last edited by james4beach; 2017-03-20 at 07:16 PM.

Yes, it's a registered pension plan through work. Large companies set up deals with various funds and negotiate lower MERs. The selection isn't all that great but Beutel small cap was something I fancied anyway.

I can see that a good manager can add a lot of value to a Canadian small cap fund. It's a bit of a sandpit... The usual problem with mutual funds is that eventually the brains behind success leave or the fund grows too popular and large to add any alpha.

Yeah I was checking out my wife's DC pension at her work and her total MER is 0.38%. Also it's done really well.

Quote Originally Posted by james4beach View Post
    ... It seems that the MER would be higher, at 1.49%, and I can't figure out the story with the loads. It sounds like any time I add new money into the fund, there would be a fee taken off that (front load).
    You mean you haven't figured out what the front load fee is, right?

As I understand it, the front load fee is a sales charge for the selling agent that is deducted from each purchase then the MER is taken out of the performance.
    Front-end load or initial sales charge (ISC) – Some mutual funds charge a fee when you buy your units or shares. This is a percentage (up to 5%) of the amount that you are investing in the fund. The fee is paid to the investment firm that sells you the fund. You can negotiate this fee with your advisor.
    http://www.getsmarteraboutmoney.ca/e...x#.WNFJ2aIpBaQ
    http://business.financialpost.com/in..._lsa=c3d3-44af

This fund, so far is the only one that appears to potentially be worth figuring out the front end charges/possibly buying.

Cheers

When I look at my account in TDDI it shows Beutel Goodman Small Cap as no load.

It may be worth calling them to check though. I know TDDI sells Mawer as no load, but I recall the minimum to buy was $5k and also they had a short-term redemption fee. BG funds may have something similar.
    Invest your time actively and your money passively.

How about HKB505? Its subadvisor is Mawer. Seems to track well against MAW107 (New Canada - it's been closed for years now).

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
    When I look at my account in TDDI it shows Beutel Goodman Small Cap as no load.

It may be worth calling them to check though. I know TDDI sells Mawer as no load, but I recall the minimum to buy was $5k and also they had a short-term redemption fee. BG funds may have something similar.
    Great Laker: I have an TTDI and have not been able to buy the MAW160 (their new Emerging Market Fund). It allows me to buy all their other Mawer funds except for this one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast