Does Costco membership worth it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Costco membership worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    That depends on the store. All the ones in Alberta that I have been to insist on seeing a membership card. Even when I walk in with Costco bags. They will even check for cards with some people going to the returns or membership area.

Of course in their liquor store you don't need a membership.
    ...Curious about this.... our store seems to be hit or miss on walking in without a card..
    But WALKING IN & looking around is one thing.... can you then actually shop & buy something without a card? Don't you have to show your card at the checkouts?

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    ...Curious about this.... our store seems to be hit or miss on walking in without a card..
    But WALKING IN & looking around is one thing.... can you then actually shop & buy something without a card? Don't you have to show your card at the checkouts?
    No, you need a membership to buy (except for pharmacy, I've heard).

I believe the ' no membership for pharmacy' is an American thing based on their legislation.
    The selection varies somewhat from store to store and province to province. I have seen lamb in the stores in Alberta but never any venison or game.( other than bison burgers one time). Some fresh salmon, steelhead trout etc and some frozen fish. Decent prices but selection varies week to week. So if you see it this week it may not be there next week.
    The store I frequent has organic chickens, organic ground beef, organic produce, quinoi etc. Expensive compared to non organic but far cheaper than planet organix or the like.
    Remember Costco buys in volume and sells with low mark up so likely difficult to source game in the quantities they need.
    You will find most stuff is high quality.

They make little profit on each item. In fact it is rumoured that something like 70% of profits are from membership fees.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

DId anybody buy online?
    I found some interesting stuff

https://www.costco.ca/seafood.html
    https://www.costco.ca/bison-game-meats.html

What I have usually done is get someone I know with a membership to buy me several $25 Costco gift cards and just go in and use those a few times a year since I don't need much.

[QUOTE=gibor365;1445242]DId anybody buy online?

I buy online stuff for friends back in Canada...fast delivery always top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    Never shopped in Costco and was curious if Costco membership worth it? What is the difference between Costco and other supermarkets like RCSS or Highland farm? Is Costco cheaper or has better selection?
    I checked Costco online and looks like game meat or seafood you can order only online (and you don't even need membership for it).Is it true?
    We shop ALOT at costco. We did take an 18 month break to see if it was worth it, and ended up going back for us.

Costco is not always the cheapest if you compare to loss leaders in flyers, but as for an average price their prices are really good. They quality is MUCH. higher than RCSS for meats and produce. There are some things that are consistently cheaper, compared to non sale items at rcss.
    Can't speak about that highland farms which we don't have here.

You can order online without a membership except there are a few items for member pricing only and you cannot even f d out the price unless you enter you card number.

We spend on groceries about $1,200 - 1,500 per months, more before holidays, much more before New Year ... Buying a lot of meat, fresh/live fish, salads, veggies, fruits, mushrooms ....
    For example I like RCSS because they have live trouts , sometimes fresh and cheap salmon...
    In Highland farm, I like to buy meat, it always fresh and good quality and veggies/fruits.
    And about once per quarter I drive to Yummy Market in Vaughan as they have the best cheeses, kolbasa, salami, smoked salmon ,sturgeon and tons of yummy Russian food .
    I've heard good review about Costco, but never visited .... so just curious if it's worth start going there....
    I've seen online pretty interesting things, but not sure if I can buy it in store, and I hate buying food online (want to see and smell before i buy) .
    The problem with Costco that the closest one is 15+ min driving, and RCSS is 2 min driving... Costco with gas is more than 30+ min driving 1 way.... so not feasible
    The meat is great at Costco. The only time I don't buy from them is when I decide to put a special order at our a local farm/butcher, but then we are buying $1000 of beef. Seafood is great too, we buy a lot of salmon, tuna, trout, halibut, live mussels. No other live fish froma tank though.

We have found gourmet chanteril mushrooms amount other things, but they are of course seasonal. We get our fruits and veggies between rcss, Costco, farmers market, and my garden .

If your Costco has a liquor store, you can't beat the prices but some bottles are BIGGG. Silver tequila is 1.75 litres ;-)

Pharmacy items and things like eyeglasses or photo reprints are cheap relative to other stores.
    Also Costco has a fair amount of organic stuff, far cheaper than any other store, but you have to find it.

The items they sell on line are not always available in store, but you can return them to the store.

Note that

Note also that the prices are coded
    Prices ending in
    .97 are markdowns
    .79,. 49, . 89 are special deals
    .88 or. 00 are manager markdowns on items not selling well at that store
    An asterisk in the top right of the price sign means no reorder.

There are a couple of othrs I can't think of just now.
    .77 means final clear out.

if y
    From what I heard, going to Costco pharmacy ,you don't need to be a member. Didn't try it yet, but want to try...

I just want to see what they sell in store...esp i'm interested in Bison, Lamb & Game Meat and Seafood sections
    You can go directly to Costco pharmacy. Our friend is a pharmacist there and told is. They have the cheapest prescriptions around. I use them for our reoccurring prescriptions but not the ones I need right away.

The have lambs, but not game meat. The closest they had to bison were the frozen burgers and smokies. The seafood is good, and the have seafood shows a few times a year. Their live muscles are great and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
    You must have a card to buy through the checkout. You can get someone to get your u a gift card, and then go in to buy stuff. We did this for the months I didn't have my membership. I have heard some locations now have it ipthat you must go to the service desk to get a temporary day card and register.

DId anybody buy online?

https://www.costco.ca/seafood.html
    https://www.costco.ca/bison-game-meats.html
    The game meat is only on line. Haven't bought those items but did buy real Kobe beef once. T arrived quickly and was good.

M recommendation is buy a membership, and in the first year yshe u can get a refund if you don't use it. To onl on the first year though.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

Just to let you know there is some Groupon that is supposed to be a very good deal depending on your province for a coconut gold membership.
    On a 'smart' device, please excuse autocorrect/when letters are missing.

I can't imagine not getting my money's worth out of Costco personally. You can't get every single item there so it can never be 100% of your grocery shop, but for the stuff you can get prices are typically cheaper than RCSS and way cheaper than the other alternatives. Like others have said, Kirkland products tend to be very high quality at very low prices. Gas is well worth it, although not to the point I would go far out of my way for it.

The cost of a yearly membership is no nominal compared to a normal weekly grocery trip, I just can't understand people who don't get their money's worth out of it.

And then you look at big ticket purchase items, like TVs, computers, tires, furniture, appliances which can often be huge savings at costco, one of those purchases a year will more than cover your membership card.

I don't know if this is still true. But you used to be able to shop at Costco with a costco gift card even if you didn't have a membership card. If that is still true, and you are really bothered by the annual fee, then you could get someone to buy those for you. But it seems like overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
    No, you need a membership to buy (except for pharmacy, I've heard).
    I believe the ' no membership for pharmacy' is an American thing based on their legislation.
    No idea about legislation or not but was recently told in a Canadian Costco at the Pharmacy that no membership was required.

Cheers

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast