Does Costco membership worth it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Costco membership worth it?

Costco is not going to be a one-stop shopping experience for you Gibor. They do have a lot of good quality and well-priced items, but they won't sell a lot of the specialty items you describe. You also have to be okay with buying a lot of it at once. Meat it usually sold in 6 or 7 pound containers (like 9 chicken breasts, 9 large sausages), which for me means individually packaging and freezing. Their sausages are great, but not obviously not kosher if that is important.

I find buying giant condiment containers (like ketchup, mustard, etc.) to be a waste of fridge space.

Given your food budget, it sounds like you will get value out of a membership.

If your Costco has a liquor store, you can't beat the prices but some bottles are BIGGG. Silver tequila is 1.75 litres ;-)

Pharmacy items and things like eyeglasses or photo reprints are cheap relative to other stores.
    Also Costco has a fair amount of organic stuff, far cheaper than any other store, but you have to find it.

The items they sell on line are not always available in store, but you can return them to the store.

Note that you used to be able to go to any Costco and get a tour or a temporary card or something like that that lets you go into the store to look around before you join. Not sure if this is still available but the basic membership of 55.00 is fully refundable if you try it for a few months.
    I have had a friend go to the Costco, tell the guy at the door his wife had the card, and she had come in ahead of him while he parked. He got to walk around the store and check prices and selection. Of course he couldn't buy anything without a card.

Note also that the prices are coded
    Prices ending in
    .97 are markdowns
    .79,. 49, . 89 are special deals
    .88 or. 00 are manager markdowns on items not selling well at that store
    An asterisk in the top right of the price sign means no reorder.

There are a couple of othrs I can't think of just now.

Honestly, you can just walk in to a Costco without a membership. I used to do it all the time when I worked near one (cheap hotdogs) for lunch. You just walk in like you own the place.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CanadianMoneyForum.com
    Advertisements

I also recently was happy to discover their oil change prices are far and away an amazing deal compared to dealerships and most anyone else around. An oil change for my Odyssey was only $49 + tax (synthetic). Walmart is $69, the franchise oil change companies $89 and Honda $150-400 depending which 'service' they were trying to force me to get each time. I stuck with Honda until the warranty recently ended and will stick with Costco now.

Overall great for buying higher quality items in bulk for decent prices. Not the cheapest you'll find, but good value most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    I also recently was happy to discover their oil change prices are far and away an amazing deal compared to dealerships and most anyone else around. An oil change for my Odyssey was only $49 + tax (synthetic). Walmart is $69, the franchise oil change companies $89 and Honda $150-400 depending which 'service' they were trying to force me to get each time. I stuck with Honda until the warranty recently ended and will stick with Costco now.

Overall great for buying higher quality items in bulk for decent prices. Not the cheapest you'll find, but good value most of the time.
    If they have a tire place do they do oil changes as well?

If your Costco has a liquor store, you can't beat the prices but some bottles are BIGGG. Silver tequila is 1.75 litres ;-)
    AFAIK, Costco is not allowed to sell alcohol in Ontario... Only LCBO (except beers and wines, Beer Store and some supermarkets can sell it). I actually usually buy hard liquor in 1,75l bottles, as it cheaper and lasting longer

Quote Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
    [
    If they have a tire place do they do oil changes as well?
    Here in Ottawa that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by gibor365 View Post
    AFAIK, Costco is not allowed to sell alcohol in Ontario... Only LCBO (except beers and wines, Beer Store and some supermarkets can sell it). I actually usually buy hard liquor in 1,75l bottles, as it cheaper and lasting longer
    Yeah, that is an Alberta thing.
    1.75 litre bottles are rare out here in most stores. Most are 750 ml. Except some wine and of course boxed wines in 5 litres. Costco also has some larger beer cases like 48 can sampler packs but these are a seasonal thing.
    Last edited by twa2w; 2017-01-29 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
    Honestly, you can just walk in to a Costco without a membership. I used to do it all the time when I worked near one (cheap hotdogs) for lunch. You just walk in like you own the place.
    That depends on the store. All the ones in Alberta that I have been to insist on seeing a membership card. Even when I walk in with Costco bags. They will even check for cards with some people going to the returns or membership area.

Of course in their liquor store you don't need a membership.

That depends on the store. All the ones in Alberta that I have been to insist on seeing a membership card. Even when I walk in with Costco bags. They will even check for cards with some people going to the returns or membership area.
    From what I heard, going to Costco pharmacy ,you don't need to be a member. Didn't try it yet, but want to try...

I just want to see what they sell in store...esp i'm interested in Bison, Lamb & Game Meat and Seafood sections

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast